·
Registered
2,299 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
^ They sound awesome!
I don't like this bit though:
Why risk buying a non tame bird. Non tame birds typically run away as soon as your near. Are capable of biting and drawing blood from your or your childrens finger.
I hate when people imply that a hand raised bird won't bite. Any bird will bite if they feel that's their best defense! People forget that a brand new environment is scary for a bird and they need to take things slow. I know of a family that gave a bird back to a breeder because it kept biting their kids after the breeder spun the old "it's hand raised, it loves people, it won't bite" story............ The kids were picking it up and grabbing it and passing it around, and basically just manhandling the poor thing on its very first day home. Tbh i'm surprised it didn't do more damage than just a couple of sore fingers.

Back on topic.. I really want this guy :love:
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/terrigal/birds/cockatoo/1095146230

I think danny would actually kill me though....

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
^ They sound awesome!
I don't like this bit though:

I hate when people imply that a hand raised bird won't bite. Any bird will bite if they feel that's their best defense! People forget that a brand new environment is scary for a bird and they need to take things slow. I know of a family that gave a bird back to a breeder because it kept biting their kids after the breeder spun the old "it's hand raised, it loves people, it won't bite" story............ The kids were picking it up and grabbing it and passing it around, and basically just manhandling the poor thing on its very first day home. Tbh i'm surprised it didn't do more damage than just a couple of sore fingers.

Back on topic.. I really want this guy :love:
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/terrigal/birds/cockatoo/1095146230

I think danny would actually kill me though....
Cockatoos are gorgeous! Someone in our parrot club had a relatively old one that used to live in a pets tore as the store mascot. When the store closed due to the owner's retirement, the bird found a new home with the lady from the parrot club. OMG...when it got going, everyone around it went deaf, LOL!

Poor cockatiel being manhandled on day one of being brought home!

·
Registered
885 Posts
My nan had one when I was growing up. My dad worked from 7am to 5pm during the week so when I was little i'd go to my nan's place every morning. The bird used to help me eat my breakfast every morning! And he'd follow me around everywhere. He was like a dog lol! And sometimes he'd feel like going outside, so nan would let me take him outside and put him in his tree (he wasn't clipped or anything, he just never flew away). I remember the first time I found out just how much those huge beaks hurt.. I went down the back steps too fast with him on my shoulder, and he grabbed my neck to hang on.. Oh my god the pain LOL

Actually, now that I think about it, i'm pretty sure Cocky (original right? haha) was the reason I became such a bird person.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I will not bring home another bird...I will not bring home another bird...I will NOT bring home another bird...

·
Registered
325 Posts
I already contacted her and I will be picking up the pearl on the 1st. Also her rehoming fee is extremely reasonable only $25 per bird.

601 - 613 of 613 Posts