Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm thinking of getting another cockatiel but I'd have to quarantine them in the storeroom which can get cold since it's not insulated. Just wondering how cold is too cold for a cockatiel, the cold would be mainly at night I'd think.
Also, what's the best kind of heater to have around birds? And would it be okay to be left on all night unattended?

·
Registered
786 Posts
Basically if you are comfortable, your cockatiel is. As for the heater, I don't know...Maybe someone else can add to this? I have heard that some people have their houses at 55 F at night, but keep it warmer during the day. I know I keep my temps at night around 65 and keep my birds covered at night. I keep it around 74 during the day in the winter.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I have an oil column heater, and it works very well. It's also supposed to be the safest heater for birds, as it doesn't give off fumes or anything. I leave it on low most of the time, and it only takes a few minutes for the room to warm up. I'd definitely look into getting one of these, they're very reliable and safe.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wouldn't be comfy in the temp that the store room drops to, so I definitely need a heater. The oil column was what I was thinking but I'm not sure if they are ok to be left unattended?

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
As far as I know, they're okay to be left unattended as long as there is nothing close to them. I don't leave mine unattended for long periods though.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm. It'd be on unattended overnight for like 15 hours some days, that's why I'm so iffy about it.. Would a heat lamp be more or less dangerous? Or some other kinda heat source? I've never used anything like that so I have no idea.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would think the oil column heater would be the safest and most efficient heater. Heat lamps are prone to overheating, bulbs burn out, electrical breakers pop. If your store room is in your house maybe just leaving the door open is all that's necessary. My house gets into the lower 60s at night and they seem fine. Don't know what that is in Celsius. I've never been to Australia is it cold there at this time of the year?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts