Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got some new toys for Schubert. One is a replacement of his "bed", a shreddable parrot pinata that I think is meant to be a foraging toy for bigger birds (there's a slot in back that you can fill with treats like a real pinata), but hey, whatever floats his bird boat I guess. He sleeps on the sombrero when he's not destroying it's face.

But I got another shreddable toy that is also shown below. Now this one... the tag was hanging off of a seagrass string. Being seagrass and bird safe, I just ripped the tag off and left seagrass on there because, whatever, it's bird safe. Well I look up and he's just chewing on that seagrass. Ignoring the rest of the toy. Schubert, no, that is not the toy, play with other parts of it.

I saw on tumblr that someone made their cockatiel a fun toy with beads, (bird) bagels, bells, and whatnot all held together with a shoelace, and the bird was happily just chewing on the shoelace like it was the best thing in the world. Birds I tell ya, they entertain themselves with the weirdest things. Anyone else have stories of birds (safely) playing with something that was not intended to be a toy for them?

EDIT: I taught him how to sing the song "Tequila" and he's singing to his pinata and that makes me so happy omg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
It is funny what they choose to play with, and what quickly becomes their favorite toys. Joey has a bird kabob that he chews on quite often, but truth is, he much prefers the twine it hangs from. He has another toy with all sorts of fun things to chew on, but spends more time chewing the hook that attaches it to the cage.

Sometimes I think of all the money we could save if we just put a bunch of pieces of twin attached to plastic hooks in his cage. :D

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Firestorm is really really obsessed with chewing twine that holds up her swinging perch. Little stinker has demolished two swings by chewing through the twine or outright undoing the knots I have to keep it attached to the hanging hooks. Forget the rest of the toys she has...she just wants the twine. Sigh. Must be the texture or something, LOL

·
Registered
162 Posts
Elvis is more attracted to my "toys" than his own. He has a thing going for the poop shovel these days. He demands to have it and just walks around it in circles.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My Spike seems to prefer chewing on the stalk of a millet spray, causing the spray to fall onto the cage floor, than the actual millet!

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
My Spike seems to prefer chewing on the stalk of a millet spray, causing the spray to fall onto the cage floor, than the actual millet!
Joey does that with the Kaytee brand. He will eat the millet if it is hand fed, but if I hang it in the cage he just wants the stalk. I have only found two brands he will eat if it is hanging in the cage. Otherwise he wants the stalk of Kaytee, and ignores the others.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts