Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ugh. Panda likes to nibble. He nibbles on EVERYTHING. It is really cute except when he starts nibbling your skin. OUCH. I've stopped letting him sit on my shoulder because he will be sitting there, grinding away and then he'll start nibbling on the collar of my t-shirt and then he'll start nibbling on my neck. Not gonna lie, i've flicked him off a couple of times because all of a sudden I feel this pinching feeling in my neck and my reflexes go "HOLY CRAP SOMETHING IS EATING ME" KA-POW lmao :(

How do I get him out of this? Other than saying "ouch, no" and pushing him away i'm not sure what else to do.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Good question! I would also like to know how to stop them biting my earrings... I always have to take them off

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Me three! Mindwipe is a mini veloceraptor when it comes to my ears and moles. OUCHIES!!!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
With my budgie, Sam, he did this for a few months around puberty, the behavior fortunately tapered off afterwards. I would just move him when he started chewing and he would quickly get distracted with something else. Maybe Panda will be the same way?

My two tiels are pretty good about knowing the difference between skin and clothes, but Todd loves to preen facial hair and sometimes grabs the skin in the process. It's certainly a surprise!

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Well Im afraid to say gotta to discipline yourself to gently push him away Its going to happen from time to time Hhaaa Our baby chick used to thrash my ears/earrings Niw that hes one year old he has cut it down a lot Lets hope Panda will be the same as he grows older. X x Teresa

·
Registered
102 Posts
miso absolutely loves shiny things. we let her nibble on our rings or things she can't break that aren't painful, like some necklaces, but earrings are not allowed..they're small and if she broke them it would not be good. sometimes she nips too and it's painful.
earrings used to be her number one favorite chew toy, i found that saying no and (lightly, more like petting) grabbing her tail every time she grabs my earring has helped a lot. now we just say no and she stops, and if she doesn't stop or keeps doing it repeatedly after saying no we grab her tail again. she does not like having her tail touched at all just like we don't like having our earrings grabbed.

grabbing her tail doesn't hurt her or anything, she just gets super annoyed with it super fast. it has been working well though, she's very well behaved now. maybe try something like that? as long as it isn't dangerous or hurts them, birds just don't understand that "ow" means "stop doing that" or "that hurts, don't do that"

she stills chews on our rings and stuff though, and she's gotten better at not nipping our finger skin too. she could also have been nippng before though because she was young and very uncoordinated...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts