Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
Percy is 11 days old today, and still looking like a 5 day old chick. I haven't heard him begging for food today, and though I offered him formula, he didn't take it. I am going to try again in the afternoon, but it's not looking good. The poor thing is weak and very small for his age. I'm doing all I can to save him, and I have no clue what went wrong. He is the only chick, so I thought he'd be getting all the attention he needs from his parents, who are both diligent cockatiels. Percy refuses to give up, but he just isn't gaining weight. I'm not giving up either, but it's more upsetting everyday when I see his eyes haven't opened, and his body is still small. I've given him coconut water to hydrate him, and put a hot water bottle close to the nesting box for extra warmth.
Thanks to everyone who has supported me since egg stage. I really took all your advice to the best of my ability. The only thing I can do, is keep trying to feed him and hope for a miracle.
Kind regards.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Its sad to hear that ur little percy is not in his better state yet, however its great to see that you are trying your best, percy is definetly lucky to have you :) I dont really have experience with chicks this fragile (i got my tiel when he was 13, but he did have a pretty good development and looked older than his sibilings when they got his age) but i would just recommend making sure that the formula is really thin (as he has had coconut water, maybe a formula in the same consistency as water would be easier for him to acept) and to make sure that he is geting the warmth he needs, as he doesnt have any brothers to keep him warm, i really liked the idea of the warm water close to his box tbh.
I'm hoping the best and sending lots of good vibrations to you and percy

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its sad to hear that ur little percy is not in his better state yet, however its great to see that you are trying your best, percy is definetly lucky to have you :) I dont really have experience with chicks this fragile (i got my tiel when he was 13, but he did have a pretty good development and looked older than his sibilings when they got his age) but i would just recommend making sure that the formula is really thin (as he has had coconut water, maybe a formula in the same consistency as water would be easier for him to acept) and to make sure that he is geting the warmth he needs, as he doesnt have any brothers to keep him warm, i really liked the idea of the warm water close to his box tbh.
I'm hoping the best and sending lots of good vibrations to you and percy
Hey there! Thank you so much, this really made me smile. He found the thin formula easier to accept and I’ve added some egg mash to the parents diet. He’s not grown a lot in the past few days, but I can see his wings and feet are slightly bigger, so thank you! I’m still hopeful for little Percy, but it’s going to take a lot of time and effort for him to even open his eyes. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.