Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all! Excuse the lengthy post...

For my 16th birthday many, many moons ago I bought a male cockatiel at a nearby pet store (I was young and uneducated about these things). I still remember the day he picked me, he was sitting in a tiny cage huddled up with many other tiels but something seemed "off" about him, he seemed very scared compared to the other confident tiels. The gentleman at the pet store told me they were still young but not hand-reared.

I tried my best everyday to try tame him with no luck, he was and still is *EXTREMELY* terrified of hands. He will sit on my shoulder when it pleases him, but if I try move my hand near him he'll screech and fly away. Over the years I've accepted his personality and didn't want to force him into something he wasn't comfortable with.

After a few years of having him he developed this habit of excessive screeching. I took him to the vet for a check up and the vet said it wasn't a normal cockatiel screech, but sounded similar to a telephone ringing. I thought he would stop doing it after a while. But boy was I wrong. I researched and tried almost everything to break his telephone habit but he wouldn't budge (I do not scream at him if he screeches nor do I spray him with water or blow his face).

Trying to keep this message as short as possible and to the point - after so many years of this telephone screeching noise, I'm starting to wonder if something is actually wrong with him? He doesn't screech at a specific time. It's *all* day long, from the moment he wakes up until he goes to sleep. I give him ample attention, time out his cage, try keep him occupied so he doesn't get bored, etc. I'm getting desperate. I don't want to give up on him, but I need to understand what's causing this.

Please try not to judge me if I may have done something wrong :(

Thank you for reading my message <3

P.S I've uploaded a recording of his screech over here:
https://vocaroo.com/i/s19pMjaprslq

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

So he may have heard that sound all those years ago and decided he liked it and wanted to copy it. It's normal for tiels to do this and it sounds like this has become his sound. You can try to reward him when he makes other noises but at this point, since he's been doing it for so long, you may not be able to break him of it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome!

Good Lord, why this sound out of all sounds? &#55357;&#56904; I'm just concerned because I still live at home and my family is on the verge of murdering the poor little guy. I'm completely crazy about animals but even I am at the point where I can't handle the noise anymore. He'll do it for hours on end. Is it not a sound of frustration? He does this in the mornings when he wants his cage to be uncovered and then continues throughout the morning till the afternoon where he stops for 30 minutes (bliss) and then continues again . We try to teach him other whistles and songs but he won't budge. I've considered getting him a mate but I'm worried the other tiel will pick up the sound too.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
No not a sign of distress. It just happens to be his favorite sound. So he shares it with you because it's the sound he likes. You could try playing videos of birds singing on youtube and see if that doesn't help. I'm sorry but getting another friend wouldn't make him quieter, you'll end up with two making noise and if noise is already the issue I don't really recommend that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I play YouTube videos of birds singing he makes his favourite noise even louder. I also sometimes put his cage outside (somewhere near where he can still see me) hoping that he'll listen to the birds chirping but he "screeches" so loud it echoes and I'm worried the neighbours complain. I have noticed he keeps quiet for a period of time if he's out his cage, but then he immediately starts again when he wants attention.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
That would be because he has discovered that if he makes that noise, you give him attention because giving him attention makes him quiet. To train him out of that you have to ignore him when he makes that noise and only give him attention when he's making a noise you do like. It's going to be hard at times but if you stick to it you can train it out of him. Also, the screeching outside is him calling to the other birds or to you, if he screeches just call back to him so he knows you are OK.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts