Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just a call from my aunt and it turns out her friend's sunconure died. When they got the autopsy report it was the fumes that killed her. Within minutes she said the conure dropped off the perch and started having seizures. She said her friend didn't know about teflon and birds. Well, now she does and a little bird had to die for her to find out. :cry:

I can't stress enough how important it is that you DO NOT use anything that releases these toxic fumes in the air. I switched all my pots and pans when I moved out of my parents to stainless steel. There are lots of other things that can cause the fumes like blowdries,breadmakes, stoves, irons, curling irons, heaters, electric grills, space heaters , ironing board covers, griddles, heat lamps, heating elements on coffee and tea makers, waffle irons pretty much anything that has a non stick surface. PLEASE do not use these around them!!! Things like the self cleaning option in stoves is NOT safe because it reaches very high temps and will kill them within minutes. You won't even know what hit them!!!

Dupont, the maker of Teflon acknowledged this to be deadly around birds. Out of 6.9 million bird-owning households in the US, teflon claimed the lifes of over 19 million pet birds!!! The symptoms a bird who is being poisoned by teflon are lack of coordination, wheezing, weakness, respiratory distree, convulsions, internal bleeding and then death shortly after. Too small of a time for treatment. If you're using them and nothing's happened yet, you're lucky. Please do a search and see how many warnings are out there, from the manufactures themselves.

·
Registered
799 Posts
sorry to hear about your aunties friends conure :( but thanks for the advice hopefully people who didn't know when they read this they will know not to use the wrong things and especially Teflon.

·
Registered
613 Posts
ahh thats sad. I knew that before I even got my first bird. I wish the little Conure hadn't had to die to teach someone what was bad for them. *sigh* :(

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I thought teflon only released the fumes when it was over heated. We have a couple of non stick pans which we use, but they're old and scratched, and of course not over heated. I don't have a choice in replacing them. Anything else (like my hair straightener) is only used in the bathroom with the door shut.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I thought teflon only released the fumes when it was over heated. We have a couple of non stick pans which we use, but they're old and scratched, and of course not over heated. I don't have a choice in replacing them. Anything else (like my hair straightener) is only used in the bathroom with the door shut.
Yes it only does. In fact, I have one teflon pan, but I rarely use it, and if I do, I NEVER let it overheat.

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
What about plumbers tape used on shower heads? I got a rain shower head for Christmas. But we had to use plumbers tape to stop some leaks? I want Spike to have a shower but I don't want him to get sick. Should I use it for a month and then try him in the shower. Will he be ok? or am I just paronid :blush:

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think the plumber's tape is a problem.

As far as the teflon, according to the manufacturer it release fumes when heated above 256F...Now that may vary....non stick cookie sheets and things like that would be a problem. I was always scared of teflon since you can't do anything once it happens but this freaked me out even more. I do alot of cooking that includes stirfry, searing...etc so I don't want to even chance it..I even open all the windows anytime I use the oven. Hair dryer and iron gets used in the bathroom also..

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
I use my hair dryer up stairs as well. My Mom uses hers in the kitchen, which is right beside the dining room where the birds are. Good thing she has short hair.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts