Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just thought I'd let everyone know about this, I knew about it for years since I'm a bit of a electronics engineer and needed steel plates for projects, starting about 8-10 years ago, all the cheap steel pans, pizza pans, pie pans, cupcake pans and the like started having non stick generic teflon coatings on them, and they are NOT labeled as such.
You might ask how I know this, well, teflon is a insulator and won't conduct low voltage electricity, the pans I was using before they started coating were conductive, once they added the coating, they became non conductive, if you were to test with a multimeter you would see near infinite resistance on any point on the pan or dish, this is the case with steel cookware from Dollar Tree, Dollar General, Family Dollar, and Walmart, and other stores, the cheap stuff, like $1-2 a piece, the aluminum cookware you see in dollar stores usually comes in a two pack, and are very flimsy and shiny they don't have teflon, but always cheap just to be sure.
I thought thought I'd let everyone know and spread the word to other bird lovers, if you're in doubt buy a cheap multimeter and set it to the ohm/resistance measuring dial and place both leads anywhere on the steel pan, bakeware, if it comes back with a non conductive or extremely high resistance, the cookware in question has a non stick teflon coating, unless it's labeled a ceramic, read your multimeter instructions if you are unsure. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Cool way to test. I have to say though that Teflon is only a brand of a certain PFTE coating - what you're really looking to avoid is anything containing PFTE or PFOA. Like you said this might not be clearly labeled, unfortunately.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I should have been more general, Teflon is just a name trademarked by Dupont, PFTE PFOA coatings are on many unlabeled steel cookwares, especially dirt cheap ones. For me since I've handle so many metals I can tell just from touch which are coated and which aren't, But if you're not sure a multimeter will come in handy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Regarding the dangers of Teflon and non stick pans. If you put your tiel in the cage and put it in a different room with the door closed and window open, will this be OK?

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Regarding the dangers of Teflon and non stick pans. If you put your tiel in the cage and put it in a different room with the door closed and window open, will this be OK?
Edit/Delete Message
It should be OK. Also try to avoid burning anything on the pan, as that's where the fumes come in. It's still not healthy for you though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts