Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I have read in many cockatiel care books and online, that teflon/non stick cookware is really unhealthy/toxic for cockatiels? I am interested to see if anyone else has heard this or if you have replaced your non stick cookware for alternatives. I am finding it pretty hard to find cookware WITHOUT a non stick or teflon surface in this day and age! As I am bringing home my new cockatiel this Thursday, I need to know what is the best way to tackle this known danger. How dangerous do you feel non stick cookware is for our tiels? (the fumes emitted from the cookware is the issue) have you successfully replaced your cookware? What do you use instead? Have you heard of this danger before, and what are your views on it? :)

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
The fumes are deadly and can kill a large parrot within minutes. Birds respiratory systems are very different from most animals. Candles, oven cleaners, perfume, hair spray, etc. are all extremely dangerous to birds.

Stainless steel or cast iron are popular alternatives. :)

Congrats on your new tiel, by the way!

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
It isn't as hard as you might think to find safe cookwear! Just search for cast iron, stainless steel or even those ceramic non-stick pans. I have stainless steel (and yes, I threw away my Teflon). I like it so much better! If you do find the ceramic non-stick pans, I hear you have to clean them extremely carefully or the coating will chip. That's why I like my SS pans -- I can scrub the heck out of them and they're fine. Cast iron is nice as well, but super expensive.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Cast iron is not as expensive as it used to be a few years ago. On Amazon you can find cast iron pots and pans of every possible size and shape for a decent price.
One thing that not everyone knows is that ironing boards often have a Teflon layer. Very dangerous as well as the cookware!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts