Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two beautiful two months old cockatiels that I helped their parents raise by hand feeding them with the parents daily. I didn't spend much time with them after hand feeding, not more than 1-2 minutes in my hand talking to them. they step up when I push my finger against their chest they ate a bit of millet from my hands, but they are scared and get away from my hands sometimes. when I get them out they look scared and try to fly back to the cage (which they haven't mastered yet and hit stuff sometimes.luckily not too strong but I worry about it). how do I go about fully taming them and being able to pet and play with them? I leave the cage open sometimes but they won't move. their dad wasn't tame but always came to the front of the cage when I went there and would accept food from my hand but was a bit aggressive and would bite my finger ( not too strong for it to hurt.) I moved the parents into an aviary. can I also start taming the dad there? thank you.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have two beautiful two months old cockatiels that I helped their parents raise by hand feeding them with the parents daily. I didn't spend much time with them after hand feeding, not more than 1-2 minutes in my hand talking to them. they step up when I push my finger against their chest they ate a bit of millet from my hands, but they are scared and get away from my hands sometimes. when I get them out they look scared and try to fly back to the cage (which they haven't mastered yet and hit stuff sometimes.luckily not too strong but I worry about it). how do I go about fully taming them and being able to pet and play with them? I leave the cage open sometimes but they won't move. their dad wasn't tame but always came to the front of the cage when I went there and would accept food from my hand but was a bit aggressive and would bite my finger ( not too strong for it to hurt.) I moved the parents into an aviary. can I also start taming the dad there? thank you.
Keep taking them out and spend time with them. They will bond with you. It takes time. Don’t wait for them to come out if they are hesitant. Try to get them to step up while they are in the cage then gently bring them out. Don’t pet them right away. Just let them get used to being with you. Talk softly. Let them walk around on you if they want to. They may prefer your shoulder or head since birds typically like to be up high. Just give it time and patience. Maybe twice a day for a little while. They will start to look forward to coming out. My bird spends a good portion of the day out of his cage. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts