Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my cockatiel Thunder just over 2 weeks. I'm making steady progress with taming her. she will stand right next to my hand and eat millet and will take sunflower seeds off me.

I've tried pushing my finger on her chest to get her to step onto my finger, but she backs off when i do that. what I want to know is how many times a day should i work on taming her?

·
Registered
4 Posts
We just put our finger by their claws and tell them to step up, works good except when the male gets cocky and flies on top of my head and thinks he is a woodpecker.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It is not a good idea to push against her chest to get her to step up. You never want to force a bird to do something they don’t want to do. Instead you have to go slowly and gain their trust so they want to spend time with you. Have you tried ‘luring’ your tiel onto your hand with a treat? As in putting the treat in front of your finger so the bird has to step onto your finger to reach the treat. Right now, her body language is telling you that you’re pushing past her comfort level, so you need to slow down and let her decide when she’s ready to step up. You’ve only had her for 2 weeks — the process of building trust takes a long time, especially with a parent-raised bird. The key is to slow down and work at the bird’s pace. Feeding her from your hand is already a great step - keep doing that every day, maybe you could even try opening her cage and putting some millet just outside to encourage her to come out. Good luck and I know she’ll come around soon, you’re already making good progress :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts