1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have noticed alot of people asking how to tame them

Here is what i do

When you first bring them home let them settle for a day

Leave your hand in the cage for 15-20 mins per hour and talk calmly keep doing this untill s/he doesn't back away from your hand

After s/he is used to your hand slowly move towards her but if s/he backs away wait untill s/he is calm and then try again

When you get next to him/her offer your finger or hand to him/her
i always say up when i put my hand out to them

You could do this with millet in your hand or any other treat

what i also find that works to is take their seed out the cage and place some on your hand and if they are hungry they will have some (Im cruel i know lol)

Also patience is the key and take your time... there is no rush since you have many of years together

QUESTION
Can you tame a wild bird

Answer
Ask Dumpling (3yrs old) & Big mac (2 yrs) they belonged in an aviary for all that time

Also here is a trust exercise you could try too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTiYpobrG8Q

·
Registered
13,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok but how do you get cockatiels to trust you when their old owners ignored them and didnt take care of them?
thats what happened to mine and they just stopped hissing at me recently. ive had them for the past 6 months and they dont really trust me and im doing what other people are suggesting in the articles and its not really working. i still cant get them to stop screaming whenever i walk out of the room.
Play games with them, spend time playing with their toys with them, drinking straws is great also shoe laces. I have picked up my lucky and held her to my chest and give her scritches and wouldn't let go because she was screaming
hey it worked she stopped and i done this to my main screamer cookie but them two are tame.

I also hold mine in a towel to and sweet talk to them and give them scritches
only for 2-5 mins so they know i would hurt them

·
Registered
267 Posts
Great post!
Yes, the key is PATIENCE. Always patience. Like lperry82 says, there is no rush: time is on your side and the bird isn't going anywhere.

Hope it's okay to add something that's been helpful for me?

Sit nearby and read to your bird(s) in a soft voice. That way you can keep talking to them without having to think of things to say. They seem to enjoy it. For a really frightened bird it's also good that you are talking but not actually looking at them. You know you're making progress when they go to sleep while you are talking: that means your voice has become a soothing influence.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Okay, i've been following step 2 for maybe a week or so, twice a day. Still when i bring my hand next to him on his food bowl( he's always on there) he opens his beak slightly and threatens to bite( lunges) but i see his crest and its 3/4 of the way up ( not flat or fully up) whats going on?

·
Registered
13,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try holding millet in your hand when you go next to him

·
Registered
107 Posts
When I put my hand in the cage, the bird doesn't care. If I move my hand closer to him, however, he backs up or runs away. Do I just keep my hand in there or take it out and leave him alone and try it again later? Also, my bird doesn't seem to particularly care for millet seed. I left some in his cage yesterday and he picked at it but it's still for the most part uneaten. Is there anything else I can use to "lure" him onto my hand?

·
Registered
13,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Remove the food dishes and when he is hungry place some food in your hand and offer to him

·
Registered
13,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
good info on this thread, i have 2 birds that are not tame but would like to be, can it be done while they are in the same cage or am i better off splitting them up ?
It will take longer if in the same cage

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello, I'm trying to tame my cockatiel and his fine with my hand in the cage but as soon as i get closer he hisses and bites, and his bites HURT, I was wondering if it would be okay to wear leather gloves or something along those lines so the bites don't hurt as much, or will this just agitate him?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hi Charlotte, If he's hissing and trying to bite you are probably moving too fast for his liking. Go a few more days with your hand in the cage without trying to get closer. And then *gradually* move closer and closer. I've had Casper a month and just yesterday got him to take a sunflower seed from my hand! Baby steps....

·
Registered
13,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree go slowly but if hisses stop and try again, try having a treat in your hand

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am not sure that they are threatening to bite. I got my tiel on Monday. He reached for my finger with his beak to see if it is sturdy enough. If you back away, you are not going to get him if you run away. I still think sometimes he wants to bite, but then he just steps up. I can hardly get him to go back to the cage. Thank goodness the food dish is in there. ;)

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I'm going to close this thread, its got lots of helpful information in it, if you can't find the answer to your training question here then create a new thread to ask everyone on the forum. Good luck with your babies!!!:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.