Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm after some advice.
I've brought in 3/4 of this years parent reared aviary cockatiels. They are now 5 months old.
I'm hoping to tame them a little as they are for sale and I believe this will help them find new homes. They have only been handled in the past when I was checking them in the nest and ringing them.
To begin with they were very quiet little guys but now they have a little chirp in the mornings and evening and if the window is open they will chirp to the wild birds. They also now feed and preen in front of me.
They are sharing a cage together and I haven't clipped their wings.
Any advice would be great!

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
http://talkcockatiels.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35 this whole sticky section has great advice about taming. I'd start with food bribery and go from there! Millet always worked well for me, but others have used sun flower seeds as well.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will it be harder for me to tame them when they are housed together? I've been sitting near them a lot so they are used to being approached.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I saw some useful tips. I feed my aviary birds every other day to encourage them not to waste seed and forage and when I go in there my friendly finches and canaries land on me and hand feed. Do you think if I took the food dishes out of the cage and offered food by hand and miller spray that would be safe? Or is there too high a chance they would rather starve? Or perhaps I could try every other day hand feeding?

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I wouldn't try hand feeding yet, they don't trust you. They would ignore you and not eat.

It is harder to train birds all together because they would rather focus on each other then you. There is nothing wrong with doing short stints of time in another room with each individual bird to build trust.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you. Do you have any tips on removing from the cage and back to the cage? 1 of them actually stood on my hand and didn't bite while it was in a carry cage

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've turned their cage so that the front faces the door which also makes it face our sofa. I've also moved both food bowls down to the bottom so if I sit on the sofa they will have to come down to my height to feed. They were already coming to the bottom bowl if one of the others was being stroppy at the top bowl. Hopefully this will encourage them to be closer to me. I don't sit directly next to them as they tend to go to the back of the cage if I do.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Dropping millet into the food bowl also helps, as they see you dropping yummy treats into the bowl.

As for getting them out of the cage, you aren't quite there yet. You need to work up to that, until they let you touch them, I wouldn't recommend it. Taming is a long, slow process.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've never attempted taming before. The cockatiels we had when I was a kid were already hand tame. They have been coming down to their food bowls while I'm sat on the sofa so they are comfortable enough to do that. I just got them a new toy so they are a little freaked ATM! Lol

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have parent reared cockatiels, 5 weeks old. I have been taking them out of the aviary and bringing them to the house every evening for the past week so they can fly and get used to people. I am teaching them to step up and they are pretty good at it, but of course when in the house they always want to fly to tops of cupboards and bookcases which makes it a bit of fun to catch them all again.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lol I had great fun trying to catch mine when I've let them out! Probably a lot easier when they are clipped but I don't like the idea of clipping them! My dad puts his hand in the cage now and then and just holds it still while talking to them they probably find his hand very scary tho as it's huge! Lol they don't seem very scared of my toddler but they see her a lot everyday.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
The hand idea is actually a great idea! It helps them get used to the big scary hand and shows that it's not as scary as they thought!

Clipping can help with taming. I had certain birds that had to remain clipped, there was no other way I was going to catch them and they were more docile when clipped. I also did it as a safety thing, because if they were going to be out flying about I didn't want them to be able to gain much height (we had very high ceilings in our last house.) A light clip takes the height from the bird not the ability to fly. Just something to think about.

Have your dad sit with his hand in the cage with some millet between his fingers. That will entice them to check out the hand and go a long ways towards taming.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I put my hand in they don't get as scared but my hand is much smaller than his lol! I might confided clipping them. Would you advise me asking a vet to do it? I worry they will be butchered like my flightless bird but I don't know who clipped her. I will get some more millet today. I can imagine how hard it was for you with high ceilings lol

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I would definitely ask a vet to do it. And see if they can do a light clip, not a heavy one. They should know the difference if they are a bird vet.

O yea, high ceilings and tiels are not a fun mix, especially when they're being bratty!! "Hey Ma, can't catch me!" :rolleyes:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My friend who also breeds cockatiels was telling me her technique for taming her birds as she solely does parent reared chicks. She gets a small bird cage and pops in the birds she's wanting to tame and then carries that cage around with her all day and puts her hand in now and then until the bird calms down. Thought this would be handy advice for anyone who doesn't want to clip wings and has the means of this kind of taming.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts