Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone of your tiels say words, without actually saying the word? Elvis is always tired in the evenings, and loves to go sleep. We have this routine where I speak to him abit, then say good night twice before I turn of the lights, so he doesn't spook. Elvis loves this routine and sings and pays great attention when he understands it's time for bed. He is old and gets tired quickly, so maybe that's why going to bed seems to be his favorite activity.

BUT, Elvis has started to reply when I say good night. He doesn't actually manage the words, but somehow it is exactly how I say it, only without the words. I can't think of another way to explain it. I thought I misheard it the first time, but he has been doing this for weeks now. One evening I accidentally said good night in a sentence to another person, and Elvis rushed to his sleeping perch and said his weird good night. I had to turn of the lights then, he looked so content that it was bedtime so early.

Is this common? He is 15 and doesn't know any words from before, so maybe it's to difficult for him to mimic more than rythm and melody?

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
That's really cute. I know what you mean! Henry will say "are you ready?" and "what you doing?" but he mimics the tone, so it sounds like the saying, without the actual words! Clever boys. :p

·
Registered
183 Posts
My tiel does a good night noise when I switch off the lights. It's not like she says good night but just like a sweet "PI".
Maybe it's the routine that he has learnt to say it but without words :)

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I have heard them mimicking the notes copying when I say things. If I were to say "hello" in Bb sometimes they will make a Bb sound similar to "hello". That is just an example, I have one that tries to say his name right now "What is it Vamp?" He kinda gets it, but not quite.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yep! I taught Schubert how to sing the song "Tequila" and when it comes to saying it, he goes "chirpchirpla!" in tones to make it sound like he's saying the word, lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts