Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does your bird do when you talk to him/her? I think it's so cute when I hold Bennie on my finger and talk "sweet nothings" to him. He raises and lowers his crest a little, sometimes tries to nibble at my lip, and sometimes raises his wings, not fully open, but just lifts them over his back, like a stretch. He's such a cutie!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Murray sometimes goes all fluffy if I hold her up to my face and talk nicely to her, but I think it's the warmth she likes! She knows plenty of people, but whenever my Mom talks to her she cranes her neck and listens intently for some unknown reason :)

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I like to call back and forth with Sunny. I say "Bee", she says "chirp", and we just keep responding to each other like this. :D

·
Registered
162 Posts
Elvis just looks at me like I'm weird if I talk to him. But if he "talks" first it's okay. Then he waits for a reply. If I answer he will repeat whatever noise he was making and I'll repeat mine until one of us is bored. But if I don't reply he'll scream his head of until I do. I think I'llnever understand how his brain works.

Oh, just like you and Sunny with the back and forth thing!

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
Mine listen with their beak cocked a little bit like a smile, with a squinty eye and make "eh" sounds. That's how they talk back to me and I love it so much! :love:

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I have a male named Foster who says his name, pretty bird and hello birdy. It's funny because he'll repeat himself in a whisper until I stop copying him. Eclipse, his newer room mate, is learning to do the same thing.... with the exact same repertoire! Funny listening to Eclipse say 'Hello Foster'.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Schubert and I will get into little "arguments" where if he gets a little loud with his singing I tell him "Yeah, well, Schubert, that's because you're a bird". In which case he'll just get louder and I'll say something like "Excuse me, young man, you are not old enough for that kind of language" and then we kind of bicker back and forth until one of us gets bored.

Otherwise if he's sitting on my finger and I'm talking to him, he listens to me like a child in a classroom, sometimes holding his head from side to side to get a better listen.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It sounds like all of you love interacting with your 'tiel as much as I do! For such tiny creatures, they really do have huge personalities!!! :)

·
Registered
786 Posts
I love talking to Milo...he just cranes his neck and has his crest up then answers with whatever comes to mind in his little head ;) He loves to talk on the phone- if it rings and he is with me he just starts talking as much as he can to the other person. Silly bird.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Cosmo will kissy noise up a storm whenever he sees us. Of course he kissy noises when we talk to him and he'll wave at us then shows his "pretty bird" by putting out his wings for us. I guess you can say he begs for us to give him treats for his tricks lol. When he is in his cage and I go up to him he instant stretches and then poops so it's like "I'm ready to come out!"
When he is out the cage and we talk to him he always listens so closely, sometimes he'll cock his head to listen better, sometimes he'll stretch his neck up all skinny to listen, then he'll fluff up and start preening stopping every so often to show he is still listening. He'll whistle, sing, and Tiel talk to me back as his response. Both me and my boyfriend are terrible whistlers, but he loves it and will listen so closely. We'll hear him try to mimic my songs I whistle to him later on. He'll whistle and clicks for Addams family.

He listens pretty well because he knows the key words of certain things I say. I ask him a lot of questions so he gets what I'm talking to him about. He knows "you want a treat?" "You want a peanut?" "You want to come out" "Come on baby" "you want a shower?" "Are you thirsty?" "Are you hungry?" "Want me to open the blinds?" "Do you like it?" "Are you grumpy?" Then he knows all his truck cues too.
I talk to Cosmo A LOT so he loves it and wants to listen to everything I say waiting for that awesome "treat" word :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
miso isn't very talkative unless she's on the windowsill chirping little tunes and fighting with the other birds, or calling to us to make sure we're there. (whenever someone comes into the house she hears the door and screams until they come over to her and say hi. she has to meet you or she won't stop, just her little way of keeping track of who's in the house.)

most of the time she'll just call to us when we're walking around doing housework. just little chirps here and there. and when we try to leave the room she gets louder trying to tell us to stay and talk to her.

and of course when she wants a scratch she just sits on a perch and stares at us and gives us these little raspy baby chirps till someone gives her one. its so cute. <3

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
My guys like to say 'night night' when the light goes off at bedtime... it's a hoot listening to 7 cockatiels mutter out loud their desire to nap!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts