Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My baby Hermes is a male, so of course, alike most males, he will chit chat and chatter about all day. However, I've been informed by my parents that while I am away at school, he will SCREECH and SCREAM and otherwise just loudly chirp. This is a problem, seeing as how my mother babysits for a living, and babies can't sleep through screams :(

I understand that males are naturally louder, but how do I get him to pipe down when I am not around? Even when I leave my desk to go use the restroom I can hear him down the hall, screeching and calling away, but the moment I sit back at my desk or hold him he is fine. I just don't want him to get so dependent on me that he will otherwise just scream when I'm not here. It's starting to annoy my entire family, and the last thing I want is to lose my baby boy :(

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Try playing recordings of your voice for him throughout the day. Or you can cover his cage when you leave so that he won't make noise. Cockatiels are social animals and he has chosen you to be his buddy. He's calling out for you to make sure you're OK and since you aren't responding he's screaming.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Given his age I'd say it's just baby clinginess and as he gets older he'll get a little more independent and can handle being distanced without freaking out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts