Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a job in Texas! Exciting, but now I have to move there all the way from New York... cockatiel included.

My job starts on August 1st, so I'm going to drive down in a few days to get an apartment, and my mom is going to bring Maya :wf pied: on the plane with her later.

Any advice or experiences with birds on a plane? Thanks!

·
Registered
269 Posts
First of all, have you checked if birds are allowed on the planes at all? I may be in need to transport one overseas but I was thinking its not allowed.
Congrats with the new job!

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Beelute! Long time no see! How is Maya? :)

Domestic flights are pretty easy. I personally have no first hand experience but researched it quite a bit when it looked like we might be moving back overseas (international flights are another story DX).

Depending on your airline, your mother should be able to take her with her in-cabin in an airline approved carrier that will fit under the seat in front of you (check the size requirements of your airline because this can also vary.)
You may or may not need a health certificate for Maya but contact the Department of Agriculture for Texas to determine whether you need a health certificate for your bird. If you do, the health certificate must be dated no less than 10 days before your flight and signed by a licensed veterinarian.

But it's going to depend a lot on your airline, so it'd be best to double check everything with them. :)

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
I have flown cross-country with a bird, though not a tiel. I ended up going with Delta because they were the only company that a) accepted birds and b) had a direct flight. It went okay. One thing to be aware of is that they WILL want to search the carrier when you go through security. I had to be taken into a private room, so that there would be no danger of my bird flying off in the middle of the airport. Other than that, not really a big deal. Though I think it's beyond ridiculous that I had to pay $150 to bring a small animal carrier onboard with me that fit underneath the seat in front of me, when most people are cramming big suitcases into the overhead bins and clogging up the isles.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I just want to say, bless you for moving your maya with you to Texas. So many people rehome their birds when they move,I am happy to hear maya will not be separated (not long anyway) from her mom.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for insight. I guess I have some research to do!
I couldn't imagine leaving Maya. She's too much a part of my life now :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts