Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My 'tiel was diagnosed as having giardia, which is a parasite somewhere in her intestines/bowel. I was told that giardia is the reason her tail feathers kept snapping off.

I treated her with the ronivet I was given and her stools looked a lot better but her tail feathers kept snapping- at one point she only had two left!

Since she molted about a month ago her tail feathers have grown back but they seem to almost spread out sideways more than I'd like them to.

Does anybody have any suggestions for improving the health of her tail feathers? The rest of her body is evenly covered in smooth feathers it's only her tail.

Thanks guys,
Angel and Patricia.

·
Registered
263 Posts
mister's feathers are a better quality since i put him on pellets, the extra protein helped. could that be an issue maybe, not enough protein in the diet? i'm sorry i don't know anything about giardia, mister's baby tail feathers snapped but i was told thta was common in babies and so far his adult ones are much stronger.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

I'll post a couple of pictures tonight. I've been looking around and was thinking it might be mites or lice, or this could be a different problem all together.

Her tail did stop snapping a fair bit after converting to pellets also, and I'll have a look into the protein idea too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

Here are the pictures of her tail;

Would mites/lice be contributing to the breakages?

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I don't think mites would but lice actually eat feathers if I remember correctly so that could be part of the problem...

·
Registered
13,738 Posts
Here is srtiels photobucket on mites and lice :)
My Taco and Buttercup have had a snapped tail feather due to flying away as iv just got them both and really scared

1 - 8 of 8 Posts