Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I post alot on here but I like to hear as much information as I can and to know whats going on.

I have a cockatiel, hes roughly 3-4 years old, the store I got him from wasnt 100% sure so thats my estimate, he could be older.

Hes not tame, and when we have to vacuum and clean the cages we take our cockatiels out and let them excersize in the loungeroom, our other cockatiels are tame but him so I use a teatowl to keep him from biting me and so I dont hurt him, ive done this a couple of times with no hassle, I dont like to freak out my birds but the vaccuum obviously makes them more anxious and I like to give them a fly.

This morning I did what I usually do, and really strange is that when I let him go in the lounge all his tail feathers completely fell out without any force, I hadn't of pulled them out they just fell out, Im not rough with my birds.

I think he might be stressed?

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Yes, sometimes that happens in response to being stressed or feeling like they're trapped in an unsafe way. Is there another way you could get him out of the cage, like moving it into the lounge, opening the door, and either letting him come out on his own time or luring him out with some treats? It sounds like it would really benefit both of you to work on an alternative routine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish, he is a VERY stubborn bird, and the cages we have are semi aviaries, too big to move it through our homes small corridors, idk we will think of something I guess

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Enigma got to your question before I did, LOL! Cockatiel tails are a lot like Lizard tails - it doesn't take much to end up having most of them on the floor. They'll grow back in a couple of weeks :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok no worries I was just hoping it wasn't anything too serious :) Was just really odd how loose they were lol

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
You'll want to be very careful about handling him while the tail feathers grow back because breaking a blood feather of that size would be very serious.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts