Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

We have a little Lutino (presumed boy from cheek coloring) who woke up with a swollen eye. We have flushed with a saline solution less than 10 minutes ago.
Happy to take him to the vet but just wondering what people think.

He is quite chatty, flying to us from his cage, eating normally and normal poops. :)

He can still partially open it, he is just sensitive to light right now.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I think I would take him to the vet. He may have injured it accidently or have an infection.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He gave her a shot of ABs and they did nothing, went back and he gave us:
Metacam
Different ABs
Tricin ointment

This is what it looked like 2 days ago.
Bubby bird is eating well, flying well, preening and everything. Very chirpy and joins in with the other cage mates.

It goes up and down, this was at the down.
The care taker of her right now won't take her to the vet for a check up, but I will even if she doesn't want it to happen.
Something is going on and if she looses the eye/vision fine, she will adjust.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
That looks like a very serious infection, and this bird needs to be seen by a vet (a different vet if possible) ASAP. At this point I wouldn't even be worried about this bird losing her eye, I'd be concerned that the infection could be turning systemic and she could lose her life.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
That looks like a very serious infection, and this bird needs to be seen by a vet (a different vet if possible) ASAP. At this point I wouldn't even be worried about this bird losing her eye, I'd be concerned that the infection could be turning systemic and she could lose her life.
I agree with this, that is very serious and an infection that close to the brain can be fatal... It also must be extremely painful..

To be honest from the looks of that pic I am not sure it would even be possible to save that eye... It looks that bad to me.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
At this point, I'm not sure there's much an eye left there to save. Whatever happened, it has only gotten worse and needs immediate attention and most likely surgery.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Huge price variations between vets in Australia, also I don't know exactly what they'd need to do so I can't tell you how much it'd be. But yes! Very very very serious issue, and needs immediate vet treatment.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Ouch :( I hope this baby makes it :( eye infections this serious are very dangerous to a bird's health and life. I really hope you can get him to a good vet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts