Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When Sweet Pea starts her shreaking on my shoulder and it begins to hurt my ears I take her off my shoulder and put her back into her cage. Of course she continues on but I turn my back to ignore her. Is this going to hurt her by putting her back into the cage like this.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I have heard that a cage should NEVER be used as a punishment for screaming/biting/etc because the cage should be a comfort zone for a bird, not a jail cell. Could you possibly place her somewhere other than your shoulder. When my Gracie starts shrieking or biting at my face, i sit her on my lap under the desk until she settles down. You are right to ignore the screaming, that is the best way to eventually stop the noise! :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't think of it as punishment. The cage is the only safe place I have for her. I have placed her on the floor and on the couch and chair but she seeks me out and climbs to my shoulder. She does calm down in the cage. I live in a small apartment with her cage the largest thing except for my bed in it. I call her cage the palace.

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Mabey put her on your lap when she screams and put your arms straight so she can't climb up to your shoulder. Or mabey you could have a small perch that you put her when she is screaming, sort of like a time out perch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Sweet Pea hasn't been that bad the last couple of days. I have bird proofed my apartment except for the bedroom and bathroom. I discovered today I have to fix up my couch so she doesn't fall behind it and make it easy for her to sit on the window sill behind the couch. Today she was walking all over the couch just checking it out, but had to watch her close. She's starting to discover more. I love to watch her walk around and she does follow me around. She is very vocal even without the screaching and when she is following me she chirps up a storm. This is something new. I am going to fix a perch for on the floor. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.