Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't know why I didn't discover this sooner but I just stumbled upon the most ridiculously EASY way to make super HEALTHY nachos using a microwave and parchment paper. Making chips in a microwave??? ... who would have thought!!

... but wow it really comes out great. SUPER crunchy/crispy with NO oil. I just made a batch of sweet potato and regular potato nachos with homemade salsa... here's a pic of my very first batch... Lil' Rascal also loves it of course... he loves everything because he's a little piggy lol :D

Here's a pic of the guilt free HEALTHY nachos that won't clog your arteries and cause coronary artery disease! Next time I gotta chop the salsa into smaller pieces... live and learn hehe... but I ate the whole thing anyway ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Yum! That looks so good. I've made chips in the microwave before too haha it works surprisingly well! Rascal looks like he's enjoying himself! :p

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Oh that looks good! Please share the recipe? Kiwi is trying to eat them through the computer screen. :)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol... ya... nothing better than healthy homemade nachos n' salsa ;)

Oops, I forgot to include the link of the video that shows how to make them in the microwave: https://youtu.be/o69APDkRPsw

I just put a batch into the oven so I can compare which comes out better :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
They look tasty. :) I do believe he is smiling while he is enjoying his snack. That is the best seal of approval. :D

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just totally screwed up the batch I made in the oven and in the microwave. I used a different type of sweet potato this time. I think I need more practice.. came out so bad I couldn't eat any of it! :eek:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Yay!! Thank you, omg there couldn't be an easier recipe for healthy chips! I think I'll make a run for sweet potatoes tomorrow.

I've been trying some new recipes lately. x3
I gave Kiwi some custard last night she liked, I hope these chips will be a success too! This is the recipe Kiwi likes: http://www.cockatielcottage.net/biscuitsnbones/birds19cc.html

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Here's the batch I made yesterday which I completely screwed up... most of the chips are soggy/chewy... gross!! (usually I get them super crispy with no oil and slicing them super thin is the trick)... but that doesn't stop Lil' Rascal from devouring them like a ferocious beast. He's even twisting and contorting his neck in all sorts of positions as he attacks the chips. He's really getting into it lol

Attachments

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He loves them so much I even put them in his feed dish...

I'm going to make homemade salsa again today with a fresh batch of healthy chips (regular and sweet potato) which I hopefully don't screw up again :D

Attachments

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's another interesting way to make healthy oil free potato chips for yourself and your tiel using a microwave. He's got these cool stackable trays which are hopefully not as toxic as plastic =)

https://youtu.be/WzZpnc3Z-cY

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rocko is getting Jealous lol

LOL, ya I bet :)

Lil' Rascal and I are heading to Bed Bath & Beyond right now to buy a potato slicer. It's a major hassle/difficult to manually slice the potato into super thin uniform slices (that's why my last batch failed miserably)... so we're off to buy one right now :D

... then I'm making my homemade pineapple/veggie/Avocado salsa... so he ain't getting any of the salsa!

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
LOL, ya I bet :)

Lil' Rascal and I are heading to Bed Bath & Beyond right now to buy a potato slicer. It's a major hassle/difficult to manually slice the potato into super thin uniform slices (that's why my last batch failed miserably)... so we're off to buy one right now :D

... then I'm making my homemade pineapple/veggie/Avocado salsa... so he ain't getting any of the salsa!
Cool does everybody in your neighbourhood know rascal

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cool does everybody in your neighbourhood know rascal
Lil' Rascal gets around, so people always ask "where's Rascal? Is he ok where is he?!!!" on the rare occasions he's not with me they almost freak out lol... everybody at Home Depot, CVS, Walgreens, Bed Bath & Beyond, the bank, shopping mall... even Whole Foods... they know who he is hehe.

Just made a fresh batch of healthy chips, but I've gotta figure out how to make them in the oven... the microwave is a pain! I burnt the first batch and set off the fire alarm, scared the **** out of my tiel :wacko:

Attachments

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Lil' Rascal gets around, so people always ask "where's Rascal? Is he ok where is he?!!!" on the rare occasions he's not with me they almost freak out lol... everybody at Home Depot, CVS, Walgreens, Bed Bath & Beyond, the bank, shopping mall... even Whole Foods... they know who he is hehe.

Just made a fresh batch of healthy chips, but I've gotta figure out how to make them in the oven... the microwave is a pain! I burnt the first batch and set off the fire alarm, scared the **** out of my tiel :wacko:
I was nervous going in shopping centers and other places I thought I would have got kicked out well its not like they would do any damage I might be going to the park with Rocko tommorow hope its a nice day.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I was nervous going in shopping centers and other places I thought I would have got kicked out well its not like they would do any damage I might be going to the park with Rocko tommorow hope its a nice day.

Tiels are tiny little birds... they are not like dogs. Birds are always flying around in the shopping mall food court, airports etc. People don't seem to really care about a little bird. I have never had any problems taking my tiel anywhere. I pretty much take him everywhere except for the gym and dentist.

I have always wondered though, where on earth do all those little birds that "live" and/or trapped inside the airport get water? I travel a lot and so far in the LAX airport in Los Angeles, Palm Beach airport... even Boston airport, I have seen tiny birds flying around as I'm sitting there about to board my flight.

Those little buggers got through TSA easily didn't they? lol

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Oh wow, I'm getting better at this! I just put some garlic powder, paprika and wow does it taste good! You guys have got to try this! :D

I also made some in the oven by dehydrating them for several hours at 170 degrees. I will have to master making them in oven because you can make huge batch far less hassle than microwave.

Lil' Rascal and I had these chips for breakfast :D

These chips taste so salty even though I never put salt on them... they just have a very salty flavor naturally.

...all I hear next to me is "crunch!" "crunch"!. My tiel crunching away on them chips lol....

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Oh wow, I'm getting better at this! I just put some garlic powder, paprika and wow does it taste good! You guys have got to try this! :D

I also made some in the oven by dehydrating them for several hours at 170 degrees. I will have to master making them in oven because you can make huge batch far less hassle than microwave.

Lil' Rascal and I had these chips for breakfast :D

These chips taste so salty even though I never put salt on them... they just have a very salty flavor naturally.

...all I hear next to me is "crunch!" "crunch"!. My tiel crunching away on them chips lol....
Im gonna have to make some one day what potatoes do you use.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts