Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, i recently got my second cockatiel, a male one, and brought it into my new home.
He's not a young bird, as far as i can tell, because he already knows how to whistle a lot of things, even though i didn't teach him any songs yet.
I bought a big cage, some toys, good food and everything, and waited for him to settle.
He's already comfortable in my presence and eats from my hand, however, he bites a lot, an he bites HARD and at completely random times.
Whenever i hand feed him, he tends to go and eat the food from my hand normally but then suddenly without any warning he bites a chunk off of my hand, i start to bleed all over his cage, and then he goes back to eating like nothing happened.
He doesn't hiss, he doesn't scream, he doesn't give the beak, he does absolutely nothing, he just bites for apparently no reason
When he bites, i tend to not react, ever.
I just keep my hand still and wait for him to stop, i never punished him or reacted in any way.
Obviously i won't give up on him, and i won't stop trying to tame him and develop any sort of bond.
But it got to a point where both of my hands are completely covered in wounds and constantly bleeding/hurting.
I need help.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Typical hormonal male cockatiel behavior. His cage is his nesting area,his territory, is a no no area. I have hand tamed male, will absolutely attack my hand if I my hand reach inside his cage. But, out of cage, he is very different, still will let me scratching his head, and very tame.

I don't think you have the right approach. If you want to work with your cockatiel. Take him out of cage, and work with him in an area not his territory.

My suggestion for you, learn to tune down hormone level of cockatiel and learn to respect his territory.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Typical hormonal male cockatiel behavior. His cage is his nesting area,his territory, is a no no area. I have hand tamed male, will absolutely attack my hand if I my hand reach inside his cage. But, out of cage, he is very different, still will let me scratching his head, and very tame.

I don't think you have the right approach. If you want to work with your cockatiel. Take him out of cage, and work with him in an area not his territory.

My suggestion for you, learn to tune down hormone level of cockatiel and learn to respect his territory.
I had no idea.
Thank you for your help.
I'll try to train him on a different environment

1 - 3 of 3 Posts