Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone

When I got Sunny the breeder gave me some of his seeds. She said he also likes peas, sweetcorn as well as cheerios and millet sprays as a treat. I ordered some pellets which came on Monday. I've been giving him a few cheerios as I wanted to introduce pellets and I read that the crunching action helped the transition to pellets.

The first few days he maybe didn't eat that much but now he's eating a lot of seed. He's very good at trying things and he will eat the pellets but obviously prefers the seed. I don't want to cut out the seed completely but I want him to get a balanced diet. I had been giving little pieces of any cockatiel friendly food I was eating. But today I tried a few things and he didn't seem that keen. I think I might have introduced too much variety for the little guy and he was a bit overwhelmed. So I decided to stay with what he's familiar with. I warmed up some frozen veg mix and he leapt on it. He had been eating his own poo on the newspaper (the breeder kept a few dishes with peas down there so I think the poor wee thing must have got confused).

I thought I'd stick with the seed, frozen veg, pellets and maybe the occasional piece of apple, millet and cheerio as occasional treats and let him adjust. I'II also get some cuttlefish, just in case the poo eating was a mineral deficiency (he does have a mineral block too). Does that sound like a good plan?

Sorry for the long post. It's amazing the impact one little bird has on your life. But I already love him after just a few days.:grey tiel:

Thanks

Carol

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
I feed Rocko seeds in the mornings and pellets throughout the day if there are leftovers that means sunnie is eating enough and veg is good a few days a week Rocko also loves egg I havent yet gave egg to Loki I only have him 2 weeks now im still trying to get him to eat pellets.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Brandon. I guess every bird is different. I'm really pleased that he is accepting the pellets (I hand-fed them and give him lots of praise when he eats them in the cage). I know some people say not to make any changes in the first two months but my breeder said this was the time to do it as long as I introduce it gradually. I will always give him some seed. I think maybe he needs a bit of stability at the moment. So I'II stick to the seed,veggies and pellets for now.

·
Registered
648 Posts
As for him getting enough pellets in his diet to balance it all out, try feeding pellets in the morning when he's hungry from the night and giving seeds in the afternoon. Just until he's fully accepted that they are a perfectly reasonable option for his meals. If you have both seeds and pellets there he, just like most birds, will just stuff themselves with seeds and maybe eat at the pellets after. Later you can put them both in in separate dishes. But hopefully by then he's got a taste for them

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
As for him getting enough pellets in his diet to balance it all out, try feeding pellets in the morning when he's hungry from the night and giving seeds in the afternoon. Just until he's fully accepted that they are a perfectly reasonable option for his meals. If you have both seeds and pellets there he, just like most birds, will just stuff themselves with seeds and maybe eat at the pellets after. Later you can put them both in in separate dishes. But hopefully by then he's got a taste for them
Im actually gonna start feeding Rocko pellets in the mornings instead of the afternoon thanks for the idea Rocko is a bit of a seed junky.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I mix Joey's seeds and pellets together. I do 60% seeds, 20% Zupreem fruity pellets and 20% either Harrison's high potency, RoudyBush mini or Roudybush crumble. He also gets fresh veggies daily.

Hand feeding pellets is a good way to introduce them. That is how I first got Joey introduced to them. I still hand feed them as treats, since he thinks they are special that way, and they are healthier than some treats.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The pellets are working out very well. I take the seed away in the morning and I also put the pellets in the higher up dish. He also only gets pellets outside the cage. He'll now eat the pellets even when the seed is still there. He was making his baby "feed me" cry around the seeds, but only when I'm there. I've just been ignoring him when he does that and he seems to have stopped doing it.:grey tiel:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts