Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My sweet little Pompeii isn't acting normally. I sent him to his breeder on Monday to get a beak trim and a wing clip. The lady that was there took him in the back room and brought him back quite some time later. She said he had not behaved well and shook her head. When I brought him back home, he refused to get out of his carrier cage and would not climb on my hand. He used to be the kind of bird and would jump at the chance of being out of the cage. It has been some days now and he is acting like this....he will not climb on my finger, makes much smaller droppings and has lost about 3 grams since. I fear he may be in shock. Is it possible that he is hurt? I couldnt see what that lady did to him and I am afraid she may have hurt him. I am also afraid that another visit even to a vet might make him worse. If anyone has any idea or advise, please let me know. I posted in the ParrotForums but I need help anywhere I can get it. :( I have antibiotics (baytril) that was prescribed to my cockatiel but not sure if its a good idea to get him started on it. Please all advice and suggestions are highly appreciated.

Edit: I just talked to the vet on the phone. She said if it is stress it is best to keep him comfortable at home. She said it is OK to start the baytril and to feed him baby formula if he won't eat. We tried giving him the baytril, it was hard, now he is totally stressed, won't even take take a bite at his favorite treats. I don't know what happened to my baby at that visit... I really don't want to lose him.
I am trying to get in contact with the breeder to ask if anything happened to cause this but no one is picking up.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Keep him warm. Put some Gatorade in his water. Hang millet next to his favorite perch. Don't make sudden movements. Walk very slow when you are approaching him. Don't feed him batril. It will only stress him out more. Just keep him calm and he should be back to his old self soon. He's probably shocked from the vet and isn't sure if you will do the same. Try to feed treats once he gets more used to his surroundings. Play some music for him. Here is a really good song that calms birds down instantly: http://youtu.be/7iCXXXUMPmE

Good luck. He is probably stressed.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gatorade in his water? Will this help him?
I'm worried because his droppings are almost non-existant... :( Does that mean he isn't eating? He weights about the same though...

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Personally I would be getting a vet check given that this has been going on for several days. I wouldn't expect stress to have an otherwise well-adjusted bird acting this out of sorts for more than one or two days at most. It's good that he hasn't lost weight, but the lack of droppings does mean that he isn't eating much.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Saying a prayer that your Pompeii is doing better in no time. :flowers:

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ty everyone. Pompeii is eating on his own now and we aren't having to feed him. He is retaining the same weight so I'm trying not to interfere with him and feed him more to get back that 3g he lost. I dont want to stress him further especially since his behaviour is getting better each day. He steps up now and wants out of cage and all that good stuff. He's droppings are also starting to look better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts