Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
I have 5 budgies,out of which 2 pairs have laid 4 and 5 eggs (total=9).and first egg will hatch sometime on or after tuesday,lol and this is my first time with birds.i have had budgies since 1.5 month now.

there at the talk budgies forum,i happened to see this persons siggy almost daily (shes atvchick i think and that cockatiel and read some information and found that they are sweet tempered and lazy birds(which will do great with me)
and now i dunno but slowly it became an obsession so i want suggestions. and it will be very appreciated if someone can help me with

Basic requirements (i have read the article of it here though)
Cage Information
Food Information
and any other site with information or any information you want to share,please.
Thanks

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Cockatiels make great pets but they do require a little more time then say a budgie would mine love to be out with me hanging on me begging to have there head scratched they are like big sucks especially my Ollie he is the biggest momma's boy and would like nothing better then to be with me.
Here is a link to the different kinds of cages everyone has
http://www.talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=32
and if you look under Food and Nutrition it will give you alot of info on foods safe and not safe and some of the things we feed our tiels ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok thanks,
i would love a bird who would stay with me all time,because my budgies dont.in Pakistan you never find a bird for sale who has been trained,and they never tell u the right age.i want cockatiels,but they are available at a full size and i dunno how young or old,and tame or not so maybe mine wont be so nice with me and grown-ups are hard to train?
but well,i want em soon.let me look at that site you linked

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Whatever you decide make sure you are ready for the commitment. Cockatiels can live 15-30 years in some cases and you need to make sure you can be there for them if needs arise, (vet bills, etc). To me, they are much more cuddlier then budgies. I have 8 budgies and they are all tame but live in their own little world. My two tiels are the sweetest ever and very bonded with me, but they need alot of my attention...spoiled brats...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ah i would love such birds!! cuddly birds are what i adore but am wondering,they can fly,will i have to make em trust me first?

·
Registered
799 Posts
you could clip the tiels wings for a while until the first and second molt which will make the tiel more Dependant on you so when the tiels wings do grow back he will be very trusting of you.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I think it depends how old they are and how they were raised on how cuddly they will be, if your getting an older tiel thats not so use to handling you will have some work to do to get him or her to trust you, the best way to go for the first time I think is to get one thats young especially if your not experienced, for an older tiel it could take months of hard work to get it to trust you and even then some are just not as people friendly if not socialized well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts