Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Pals,

I’m looking out for a female cockatiel around my locality and was shared this video by a person who has one. The one at the front on perch is what is is looking to give me. Could somebody pls have a look and be able to recommend if I should go for it? The seller is not aware about its genes/ mutations any thoughts on this will help as well..
Bird Vertebrate Beak Cage Parrot
Vertebrate Bird Cockatoo Cockatiel Parrot
Bird Vertebrate Beak Cockatiel Parrot
Bird Vertebrate Beak Cage Parrot
Vertebrate Bird Cockatoo Cockatiel Parrot

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How old is it? How clean is the cage? IF you get a new bird, take it to a vet then isolate it before introducing it to others in your flock. Good luck!
Thanks Maryann, I am told its age is about 2 years.The cage is placed outdoor so i wouldn’t expect it to be very clean but looks maintained enough. I might go visit and see in person if I get a good review from here as the place is couple of hours away. Also, if you check the wings and face and the nostrils they got a little blackish/ dirty shade mask, any ideas on the genes it would be carrying

·
Registered
71 Posts
Being outside isn’t an excuse for not being clean. I had outdoor cages that I kept very clean. The bird just doesn’t appear healthy to me. It looks to have missing feathers which is either a disease or another bird picking on him. If you still decide to go for it, and I wouldn’t, take it to a vet immediately.
What do you see when you look at the pics? Am I seeing something that’s not there? My first instinct was no. I wish you luck but please be careful.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The cage is placed outdoor so i wouldn’t expect it to be very clean but looks maintained enough. I might go visit and see in person if I get a good review from here as the place is couple of hours away. Also, if you check the wings and face and the nostrils they got a little blackish/ dirty shade mask, any ideas on the genes it would be carrying
Being outside isn’t an excuse for not being clean. I had outdoor cages that I kept very clean. The bird just doesn’t appear healthy to me. It looks to have missing feathers which is either a disease or another bird picking on him. If you still decide to go for it, and I wouldn’t, take it to a vet immediately.
What do you see when you look at the pics? Am I seeing something that’s not there? My first instinct was no. I wish you luck but please be careful.
i did notice that the feathers are not in full and also the top of the head behind the crest looks bald( can only know the extent when I see it in person). But Lutinos even Visual are white and shades of yellow, this one’s got the blackish notsrils, very light shade of grey face mask, and the tip of the wings are having shade of black. That’s what is getting me interested in the bird, it definitely has some hidden genes but wanna weigh in only if the bird is healthy

·
Registered
71 Posts
It’s awfully hard to tell from pictures. Just look for how well the bird is taken care of in terms of cleanliness and food etc...
You have a long drive. Make sure it’s worth your time. Keep me posted. I’d love to know how it works out for you. I hope all is well!
Good luck!

·
Registered
48 Posts
The sticky notes section has some very good tips about choosing a new bird and introducing it to your flock. I would definitely never buy a bird without seeing it in person and its living conditions. There are also some good books that can tells you what to look for to help make sure it's healthy. But then a vet appointment is also essential as mentioned above.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts