Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... just today, Memo became “needy”? (I don’t know the right word to use)

Warning: A video and a little lengthy story ahead

So this morning after removing his cage cover, I noticed he’d start making loud noises whenever he can’t see me. Then when I’m there he would shut up.

He is flighted and I just leave the cage door open to encourage him to fly around, but he almost never flies away from his cage area anyway. Usually he only would if he got startled (eg, if I am holding something big and wide, like a book, and I moved it too suddenly), he would panic and fly away, but he only always lands back either to his cage or around the same area in the kitchen, and nowhere else in the house.

But always, he wouldn’t care if he can see me or not, until now (actually I would sometimes call his attention on purpose but he’d ignore me all the time).

As I mentioned, the kitchen area is the only area he knows how to go/fly to. But From his cage, it cannot be seen (you’ll see what I mean from the video). So today, whenever I will go to the kitchen he will cry and fly there to follow me.

If I start to go somewhere else, he will skwawk the living **** out of him until I come back. At time he’d go really restless that he’d fly to the kitchen and back to his cage until I come back. I think he also wanted to follow me, but because he has never flown anywhere else, so he doesn’t know how to go where I was, that’s why he’s doing that??

I am 100% sure nothing has changed in his food, surrounding or aything that I know of. I did some reading too, and it seems like he’s now getting attached? (Hence “needy”)

Is this really how it happens? One day they just get attached?

Here’s a video of him doing what I described:

https://youtu.be/Q59ejrf-Dbk

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
It's called flock calling. When he can't see you he's calling to make sure you're OK. Call back to him to reassure him so he doesn't feel he always has to come to find you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I tried what you said but it seems like he needs more getting used to it.

I thought it’ll be temporary, but now he’s consistent about it, so I guess it’ll be a part of his behaviour now. It breaks my heart for when I need to go to work, he have 3 to 4 hours wait.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
My tiel is almost 9 and he still does it too. Actually, he has become louder and louder. And when I go back to where he is he literally jumps on me like he wants to hold me so that I don't leave the room again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.