Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you know, I have a budgie named Tamasha and a cockatiel named Shiraarat.
Shiraarat is really affectionate and tame while Tamasha will climb onto my hand and then proceed to bite my skin after a minute or two.
They were housed together after the initial quarantine period, (to be honest I felt bad whenever I thought about moving Tamasha out of her nice, new cage into the old smaller one.) until just recently when Tamasha became sick. She was then quarantined and fed her medicine, etc.
I decided to turn Tamasha being in a seperate cage into a permanent arrangement, after seeing a lot of members in the forum insist on various threads that it would probably be the best solution.
Before, they would hang around each other just when they were in the mood and keep one another company when no one was playing with Shiraarat, but now it's impossible to go anywhere with Shiraarat. As soon as he gets let out of his cage, he hurries over to Tamasha's cage and waits for her to be let out. If anyone tries to take him anywhere, they get bitten. If she's asleep, then he'll climb onto your hand, but the second they start chirping back and forth to each other, he'll fly off to her. (Which is dangerous at the moment, because he doesn't know his own strength and had ended up hitting walls and the ceiling multiple times already). If you DO manage to get them apart, they'll both be fine until placed within hearing range of one another.
Sorry for the long winded post, but this wasn't really a concern until we were trying to put them to bed last night. Shiraarat would NOT let us put him in his cage. He kept breaking free to fly over to Tamasha.
It should probably be mentioned that my budgie was hormonal until about four weeks ago, when I followed advice given on here for a hormonal cockatiel and took out her nesting box.
I'm wondering if putting them both in the same cage would be best?
They sleep on opposite ends of the cage and spend all day outside of it, and the over-grooming issue that has been stated as a concern isn't an issue because while they are very close, they do not groom each other.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Unless I receive any replies in the negative, I think i'll give it a week and then move them both into the same cage again. In order to discourage possessiveness, I'll move around the cage arrangement a bit before putting them back in.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I still wouldn't cage them together, you aren't there to watch them 24/7 and one or the other could get mad for whatever reason and then you have trouble on your hands. Just let them continue to hang out during out of cage time.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, thanks Roxy. I was looking up some things and i found a picture of a bird with its beak ripped off by another one, which reminded me why I was hesitant to house them together when my dad first bought Shiraarat. I think I'll keep them separate and just move their cages next to each other.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Oh wow! You do have a little problem on your hands!
In my experience, whenever I have separated birds and put them in the same room, their bond between each other (whether they were fighting a lot before or not) is dramatically increased!
Some people even say that before breeding, you should separate the two tiels in two different cages, but allow them to be close so they can talk to each other from each perch and you will be creating the perfect atmosphere between the two when they finally get to be in the same cage!
I think that in your case, that they are really bonding well because they probs don't have to experience the fighting and can actually enjoy eachother!

I have three budgies and three tiels that I house together and although they have their ups and downs.. Each bird knows his or hers strength and if they want someone to move ect, they will only give them a little nip!

It can be very distressing for a bird to have its routine suddenly changed including being housed in a cage with another bird all of a sudden (whether he likes the other bird or not!)
I think you should keep them where they are happy..

As for flying and not knowing his own strength.. I would invest in an aviator harness which is great for taking your bird outside and teaching it a tonne of new things, including to come to you when called. That will let him practice his flying skills and provide a whole new method of entertainment for you and your birds.

Is Tamasha overly excited too??
When I first got Tika, he hated Ezio! Ezio was asking him for head scratches and Tika thought he was attacking him and went back at him.. This started a little ar between them so I split them up and had Tika in an enclosed cage. Guess what Ezio did?
He flew right over to the cage and would wait till he ws allowed to be let out everyday!
They would whistle thigh the cage to each other and it was just weird seeing it after all the hate!

A week after I let them out and although there was some tension, it had died down dramatically!

Oh wow.. I hear about a million beaks grinding right now! :) love the sound!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for the later reply-I was busy with school.
Anyways, the two little brats know when it's tiem for bed and sneak into the same cage together. Sometimes they'll go to Tamasha's, other times I'll walk into the room to find them both eating dinner in Shiraarat's cage. I separate them and put them into their own cages. This arrangement is actually working out better for me, so I think i'll keep it this way. They can stand to be parted now, and Shiraarat acts like I've been gone forever when I come home from school.
Things have died down considerably from the sudden strong bond they had developed. Now they just wander around together the majority of the time, with a bit of alone time for both of them at some point in the day. It's kind of a relief actually. I thought I'd lost my bond with Shiraarat!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts