Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I woke up today to my cockatiel suddenly sneezing and making these weird internal nasal sounds. It started really badly like sneezing every second but i has definitely gotten better and now she only does this once in a while. It is pretty dry here so we tried spraying her with a little of water, maybe that helped?

She is same as active, was eating and cleaning her feathers just fine.
The avian vet is available today but they charge like crazy and I don't have a ride until later today since I don't drive myself. Is this something serious that should be checked up ASAP?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to add. The avian vet I was hoping to send her to for her checkup is not available today but tomorrow.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
She probably got something stuck in her nose that temporarily irritated it. If she's behaving otherwise normally and the sneezing seems to be resolving, then it shouldn't be an emergency. It may even be something that resolves on its own without the need for a vet visit -- that's certainly been the case with my birds on occasion.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She just sneezed out a lot of liquid so I left her an appointment in 3 hours. Pray for my little choco. :(

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Aw, I bet her nose is just irritated, but good that you're getting it checked out. I'll send her good thoughts. :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you enigma. She is due her yearly check up anyways so might as well send her in now that I am concerned.

I lost my cockatiel of 8 years within 3 days of noticing any symptoms, so this is really scaring me. I don't want to risk anything because I've seen a bird go from normal to leaving us withing 3 days. :(

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I totally understand that and support your vigilance. But I'm still going to hope for both of you that it's nothing major. :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so I just barely returned from the vet. She said that Choco is starting to develop an upper respiratory infection. She could see a little white inside her upper beak and said her nose and eyes were red and inflamed too. She said it most likely happened from all the fans and AC being on due to the heat this past few days.
She gave us Baytril 5mg twice a day for 10 days.

What do you guys think. Is my Choco going to be ok? :(

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll be honest and say I'm a little worried about starting her on the antibiotic. I read that an infection could be bacterial, fungal, or parasitic and that the vet is supposed to do a lab swab test to see which of the medication is best. However she just took a look at my Choco's throat eyes and nose and gave us the antibiotic. She didn't run any tests at all.
For those of you that may have had similar experiences, did the vet actually do lab work to find a diagnosis? I don't want to give her something that could make her worse. :(

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
No, it's much more common for them to try a broad spectrum antibiotic first. Baytril is a very common and safe med.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Yes, it's good to get her started on it since it will take a bit to get into her system and start fighting the bacteria.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok. :) I will do that and keep everyone posted. Thank you so much for your help enigma. Also if anyone has had a similar experience or any tips of advice please let me know I'll be happy to hear them out.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update: Just gave her the first doze of Baytril and she took it all very nicely and now is having some well deserved millet. :) So proud of my little baby.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Choco has been eating more then usual lately. Is this something I should be concerned about? Or should I only worry if she eats less?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
sneezing

I am glad you got little Choco to the vet as soon as you did! I hope she will be okay. Is your Baytril liquid? I had to give my previous 'tiel Baytril once and she hated it. The medicine taste VERY bitter and nasty, so I can't blame the poor bird. They just don't understand it is good for them. I don't know if your vet suggested it, but my vet suggested mixing the Baytril with a drop or two of orange juice. The bad thing about that is that then you have even more liquid to get into that tiny beak! Just make sure she gets the entire dose of Baytril. Then give her a treat and/or lots of lovin' :)
Best wishes! I hope your little friend is soon all better! And again, great job for taking her to the vet! Too bad about the $$$, but what can we do? :(

1 - 20 of 55 Posts