Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am writing to ask if anyone else has ever had this happen to their beloved bird. I adopted two brother cockatiels from a bird rescue approximately 3 1/2 years ago. At that time we were told that they were about 2-3 years old. Tom and Jerry did fine up until last Friday. Thursday evening Jerry was fine: eating, drinking, etc., as normal. Friday morning I noticed that he had made this unusual coughing sound for about 2 minutes and then stopped and seemed fine. Later that afternoon he seemed a little more lethargic but I thought it was just that we were having a very warm day here. I thought maybe Jerry needed some cool water so I put a pan of water in the bottom of the cage but he didn't seem interested so I thought I would put him on my finger and help him into the shallow pan of water. He bit me so hard and didn't want to turn lose, drawing blood and much pain but I managed until he let loose. He didn't want to be in the water and flapped over to a corner of the cage where his little head went sideways, he closed his eyes and died. I have no clue what happened to him as he didn't act sickly at all until the funny coughing spell he had Friday morning. Now Tom is mourning, hasn't made any sounds at all, which is totally unusual for him. He is eating and drinking but I can tell he's missing his brother as they have been together since they were babies. Is it better to let him adjust to being alone for now or to get another cockatiel for him? Thank you for any input.

·
Registered
10,914 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss. Birds try to hide illness, because a sick bird draws the attention of predators, and in some species their own flockmates might drive them out of the flock. So a bird can be very sick while still basically looking normal to us. I don't know exactly what was wrong with Jerry, but he must have been very sick.

Jerry is the bird that Tom is missing, so even if you get another cockatiel right away it won't be the same and he might not appreciate the new bird. You will have to use your own judgment on what is best to do. But in the meantime, do what you can to spend time with Tom and comfort him. Things like talking to him and letting him eat treats from your hand.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You for your response.

Thank you for your response. I have to say that Tom seems to be doing better today, since Jerry's passing. He's been quite noisy and acting more like himself again. I sure miss Jerry as he's been a part of our lives for many years. I still wish I knew what happened to Jerry. It's the not knowing what made him die that really bugs me. I appreciate you taking the time to write a response to my message.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I can't think of anything to add to tielfan's post but I do want to express my sorrow for your loss. :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts