Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Talk Cockatiels! :)

My first bird did this weird thing. I thought it was just an idiosyncrasy. But now my second bird is doing the same thing.

Both birds like safety pins. But on multiple occasions, both birds also appear to have their beak stuck on the safety pin. They just hold the safety pin in their beak and stay very still. But when I walk over to see what's wrong, the bird immediately drops the safety pin. So I think the bird is not really stuck after all, but rather, is intentionally SUCKING on the safety pin.

Either way, this is probably bad and I should probably not let them have safety pins anymore, right? Sucking on metal seems bad, right? And getting one's beak stuck seems bad too.

But I also hate to take away anything that they like!

Thoughts? Have your birds ever gotten stuck on, or sucked on, a safety pin?

:)

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Do not let them chew, suck on, play with safety pins at all they are not only dangerous to play with they are not bird safe metal and can cause illness or death!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I would think the metal itself is safe. Its stainless steel isn't it?

But the edges and point would pose a safety concern.

·
Registered
246 Posts
One of Peppy's favourite games is taking pins out of my sewing projects. She particularly likes the ones with bobble ends.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Safety pins

I would not let my bird play with safety pins. Find them some safe substitutes. Cockatiels have powerful little beaks and I would expect they could open a safety pin.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I would not let my bird play with safety pins. Find them some safe substitutes. Cockatiels have powerful little beaks and I would expect they could open a safety pin.
I agree - pins/safety pins should be out of reach of birds.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Maybe he'd like an Avian Stainless toy? They're pricy - but handmade, completely stainless steel, and bird safe. My boys have a few :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts