Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Panda is still being a pain to wean. He just doesn't seem very interested in anything but formula. I've tried everything. So the last resort was putting him in with Zoe, whos favourite hobby is eating, so he'd hopefully learn from/copy her. She doesn't like it but she's being a star and tolerates him lol.

It's working!
Every time she goes to eat, he does too. Sometimes he'll eat from the same dish, sometimes he'll go to the other one, sometimes he'll alternate between the two lmao, but it's working!

Finally some progress.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Awesome...glad to hear Panda's progressing with the weaning. Like they say, monkey see, monkey do!

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Yaaay for success!

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
That's great :) good work! Hehe.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've also just switched him back to Vetafarm Neocare and i'm bumping his feeds back up to 3 a day. I had to put him on Avione hand rearing formula because NOWHERE in town stocked vetafarm at that point and I was desperate, but he just did absolutely awful on it. He lost weight when I gradually dropped his feedings down and when I bumped them back up again he was only putting on enough to sustain him.

He's seen a vet, I took him to the one 45 minutes away the other day for a quick checkup and there's no medical reason for him dropping so much weight, the vet said it's just the terrible formula. Some people swear by avione but i've found it absolutely useless. He probably would have been better off if I made up my own formula concoction -_-

ANYWAY, he seems to be doing better already even though he's only had two neocare feeds. He has put on weight (6 grams overnight) and he seems perkier today already. So the plan is to get him back up to weight with 3 feeds a day, and then basically start the weaning process over again. Hopefully once he's back up to weight and feeling better he'll start doing most of the weaning work himself and start refusing formula.

Gosh it's been a bumpy road with zoe & him! I need a good long break from babies after this LOL

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So far so good! He's only been back on the good stuff for a few days but he's already put on a substantial amount of weight and he is eating a TON on his own now! Like all day today every time I look over at his cage, he's eating lol. Zoe ate a crapload like this in her final week of weaning so this is very promising progress with Panda!

He looks and acts healthier too. He was visibly underweight but he's starting to look beefy now (without being fat lol) and he has perked up a lot. It's so good to see him healthy again.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Good news :)
I don't have experience with babies but it has to be amazing!

I hope he'll eat a lot and gain weight and strength.

·
Registered
22 Posts
By the sounds of it, the fact that he wasn't getting enough nutrients from his formula is probably the biggest reason for his slow weaning progress. Now that he's back to being chalked full of the good stuff, he has the luxury of being a little more adventurous between feedings, risk free! Hurrah, Panda!!

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am so proud of him, he has come along in leaps and bounds since I switched his formula back to the good stuff!

He's on one feed a day now, and i'm slowly starting to drop back how much he gets during that feeding. He's taking it slower and he gets distracted easily and sometimes I wonder if he'll even finish it haha. He REFUSES to eat from the spoon now, it has to be a tilted cup :p He's putting on weight ON HIS OWN finally which is amazing. He spends 99.9% of his time eating and I LOVE it lol.

He no longer begs for food whenever i'm around him, and he no longer goes CRAZY when he hears noises that are associated with his formula (bird drawer opening & closing, the sound of the jug boiling, the sound of me mixing his formula in the cup, these all used to send him crazy squealing and screaming because it's dinner time lol) and he eats pretty much anything now! Even his pellets which I had the hardest time getting him to eat lol.

So proud of this little chicken :love:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts