Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

For the past 18 months we've had a problem with our male Sydney, now over five years old. He is a large bird and at times has tipped the scale at around 103. However, these days his morning weight is only in the mid-80s and at night he will approach 90, with luck.

The problem started with an infection which the vet tested for with a gram stain and CBC. He responded to treatment and returned to normal behavior. However, the weight never did come back. He has had a couple of other infections since and has been treated. Initially, the vet feared he might have PDD but within the past few months has revised her thinking that it is something gastrointestinal. She is opposed to the blood test for PDD because of its large number of false positives/negatives.

An x-ray taken a couple of weeks ago revealed complete normalcy. The only odd thing about Sydney's structure is a prominent keel, but though he is thin, he is not emaciated and the vet felt this is simply his build -- different though it is.

He acts fine. The vet has remarked throughout all of this that he is strong. Other than when he was ill and didn't eat much, his behavior is entirely normal. He has not exhibited any of the other symptoms of PDD. He is active and vocal. He prefers to only eat in the early evening. His normal diet consists of pellets, a little seed, and people food, but this not being normal times he now gets daily millet, a few different kinds of pellets, some seed and people food. He will eagerly accept most of the people food I offer, such as eggs, whole wheat bread, vegetables, cereal , pasta, etc. He does not enjoy any of the pellets, though I still offer them daily.

Rather than go on, does anyone have any idea what is going on here? Our vet is not solely avian, but has a large bird practice and does know her stuff. I've had true avian vets in the past and have confidence that she is doing all that she can. We are just stymied. For the record, I spoke with Sydney's breeder (a casual hobbiest) who assured me she had never experienced this with any of her birds.

Thank you for any suggestions.

·
Registered
10,885 Posts
Sorry, I don't know. If the vet can't figure out what's going on after a live inspection then there's not much chance that we could figure it out on the internet.

srtiels is a very knowledgeable member of this group. She has a spice remedy that she uses for digestive problems in babies and you might want to ask her whether it could be helpful for Sydney. It wouldn't hurt to give him some probiotics too. Benebac for birds is a good brand. Ornabac isn't quite as good but is often easier to find in pet stores.

You might want to join the bird nutrition group at http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/FeedingFeathers/ for more specific advice on diet. They're currently having some discussion on digestive enzymes and I don't know whether this might be a useful addition to your bird's diet.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your comments --- much appreciated. Bene Bac did very little. Oddly, I find that he is willing to eat most any "people food" that I offer him, and behavior continues to be fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts