Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and to cockatiel breeding. We were given 2 tiels and they have decided to mate and lay, so here I am with 4 babies. I've spent the last few weeks reading up on everything chick related.

They are being fed by the parents and the two oldest are doing well, the third is ok but I definitely think the youngest is stunted. I've watched him in the nest, not begging and the parents sort of force feeding him. His crop is not gassy or sour looking, and there is no evidence of yeast but it is seedy and bean bag like, the consistencey of food from parents seems to be ok for the older chicks but not for him.

I've tried to assist feed him on a few occasions but he doesn't beg and doesn't seem to recognise that I'm feeding him, I tried with the second youngest and he responded very well so I know I was doing it the right way. The parents are feeding the chicks less and less now but he still needs lots more than what he is getting. I don't really want to pull him from the nest, it's the middle of winter here, and I have four young children to care for, but if that's the only option I'll do it.

He's growing albeit very slowly, is there anything I can do to help this little bird. I'll post some pictures later when I take them out to clean the nestbox. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Mon

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Continue assist feeding. He will pick it up eventually. The biggest issue with the youngest chick in the clutch is that by the time they hatch, the food consistency that the parents are now feeding baby birds tends to be too solid for the youngest. This causes the issues you have noticed. By assist feeding a much softer consistency food, you'll be helping him get what he needs to get through this period. Once in the morning and once a night should be enough to help out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You for your reply. He's looking better every day, he's very spritley running around and getting an attitude about him, taking very little from me but mum and dad are still force feeding so that's good.

I took these pictures a couple of days ago,poor little mite looks so scrawny compared to his siblings.

First pic is voldemort 27 days old, Angel 26 days old, Dobby (the chick in question) 21 days old and Bobby 23 days old.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Super cute!! :love:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts