Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My tiel has a stuffy nose. His nares don't have any scabs, but inside I can't see his pink flesh, instead you see what looks like dirt or dust.

I took him to the vet about 2 weeks ago to have a check up and she gave him some antibiotics, which greatly helped him, but his nose still isn't completely clear.

Artemis doesn't like to shower - we're working with a spray bottle but he is not a fan. So he rarely gets wet and has an opportunity to clean his nose. He is about 6 months, regularly walks around on my floor, bed, and bathroom counters and has short trips outside (his wings are clipped).

Advice?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
First of all be careful outside clipped birds can still fly. Try giving him a bowl to bathe in some birds bathing instincts/wants are triggered by trickling water or rain sounds, so when you mist him play rain sounds either from your phone or comp not too loudly. Or if he doesn't mind you being near him in a bowl just play with the water pick some up and let it trickle back, that's how Sam was introduced

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Sometimes messy eaters are prone to getting seed husks/pellets/pieces of food etc stuck in their nose. If it's looking more like dried snot or is weeping, you'd want to take your bird to the vet, it could be a sign of illness.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts