Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone

I currently have two cockatiels. One of which is male and the other female. The male is extremely well trained and loves a good head scratching but the female on the other hand just hates us.... She likes to climb all over us but does not like our hands and will not step up. She is really started to annoy me now.

She was hand reared but does not like being picked up or stepping up. Any ideas? I know her favorite seeds are hemp and millet but when i try use that to train her she will stretch her neck out so far and eventually give up.

i'd also like to add she will happily sit on our heads and preen our hair and will eat seeds from hand.

·
Registered
648 Posts
You'll need to be patient and work with her. If you rush her with it you'll just lose any progress you've made.
Birds are prey animals, it's completely normal for them to be cautious and anxious about things and hands a pretty common fear for a lot of them. What does she do when you try to get her to step up? Does she attack you or does she fly away? Does she hiss? What does she do with her crest, is it laid flat against her head?
She might have had a bad experience or she might just naturally be more anxious than other cockatiels. I personally had a cockatiel that was very anxious and would get very very scared when hands were near him, it's not uncommon. She may never warm to the idea of being touched and handled but it's more likely that she just needs more time.
I also have a cockatiel who used to bite a lot when told to step up! I took time with her and she learned to trust my hands and now she doesn't bite at all! But she'll still bite everyone else who tries because she doesn't trust those random hands!
Baby steps, positive reinforcement (treats probably), and patience!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is strange. She just runs away and the only time i am able to get her on my hand is when she is onto of her cage (which is a little taller than me) her crest is always down.

Note: SHE IS OBSESSED WITH ANYTHING I AM EATING! She will pester me for it and if i ignore her she will gently peck my neck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts