Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Lexxi for 4 days and she does something I really don't understand and I'm very careful cause I want to tame her,make her get used to me. She ate a few times from my finger but if I'd feed her from my whole hand she won't eat.

She bites the stick she is on as if she wants something alot of times. I dont know what: she ate alot,including normal food; she ate; what's left? what might be?

also do you think she might get very lonely; i mean i give her around one hour of attention each day but she still "whistles" as loud as she can to the birds outside the window (she is on a balcony).

can i replace the thing she is missing by just bein me?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Agreed, why is she on the balcony, i think she should be inside, especially as shes new to you.
I think shes just getting used to things and thats normal behavior for an untamed cockatiel. The whole hand is more daunting for them where as fingers are small and they don't need to go near much of you, until they trust you and are used to you. Hopefully this is making sense...
Make sure your giving her a wide verity of food, such as greens, egg biscuit, wholemeal bread as well as seed.
I think she may be frightened by the outside. She needs to come inside, she will then be with people. Also breezes and drafts are very bad, if she is unwell the draft will disable her from her immune system to fix and recover from whatever the problem is. She needs to be kept warm, not hot but a medium temperature.
Though when in doubt consult a vet.
All my birds scream out to the birds outside when they can, its just them communicating, thats definitely not an unusual behavior that concerns.
Also she could be biting her perch as she is board, what she is wanting is possibly attention and/or something to do. She needs some toys, something she can destroy.
How old is she? And are you sure your cockatiel is a she?
Goodluck with your cockatiel, if you need anything you can send a visitor message to me on my profile page on here. :)

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Hi! Welcome to the forums! I hope you like it here!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts