Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was drawing when I suddenly noticed my boy's head was sort of tilted and he didn't move. At first I didn't really take notice, but then I started to be a bit worried so I went to him and he sort of looked at me and then went back to his position. He really looked like a statue. He was almost cataleptic! I tried again to make him react, but he seemed to hardly perceive me.
Suddenly I was terrified he had possibly had a stroke, so I stopped doing what I was doing.
Anyway, this went on for a few minutes and then he went back to his usual naughty self. :)
Has this ever happened to you? What could it be?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, sometimes they do that. A couple of years ago or so there was even a thread where some people believed cockatiels might see ghosts when they stare... :)
But I tried to move him to another location and he still didn't budge (his view was different after being moved).
I actually remember that when he was a little baby sometimes I was afraid he didn't sleep because every time I checked he was like a statue with open eyes... Weird...

·
Registered
184 Posts
I had to get right down to his level and line my vision up with his when he did that. I could usually find what it was. And it was usually a bug.

Also, the surround sound speakers in the back of the room make him stare sometimes. That one baffled me for a long time.

·
Registered
87 Posts
It sounds like your 'tiel may be exhibiting 'sentinel' behavior. In a flock one bird may assume responsibility of keeping watch for predators. Though inside your home there isn't much to raise concern (staring at suspicious walls/furniture) he is hardwired to ensure his flock mates don't get eaten. :)

Further reading for the exceptionally bored: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3678116/

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Yes, sometimes they do that. A couple of years ago or so there was even a thread where some people believed cockatiels might see ghosts when they stare... :)
Joey does that on occasion, but only in this building. He never did in our old apartment building, where we were when he first moved in with us. We lived in this building for a year, and he did from time to time. We moved in late April, and moved back into the building, but a different apartment, at the beginning of September.

The short time we were elsewhere, he didn't do it once, but has done it a couple times since we have been back. We'd moved for a supposedly great job of managing a hotel, but then hubs got a better offer of managing the hotel we used to work at, and we were able to get back into this building.

This building was a nursing home for years before being turned into a bed and breakfast, then into apartments. It is hard telling how many people passed here when it was a nursing home. My ghost theory may be way off, but it just makes me wonder.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cockatiel do have something like a sixth sense... My cockatiel feels my mood without me saying or doing absolutely anything... He just "feels" it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts