Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping someone has experienced this before and knows what to do. :( I'll try to keep it short.

I got a job about 4 months ago, and I work about 30hr/week, my parents (mainly my dad) keep my tiels and budgies company while I'm gone until I get home, then I take over. about 2 weeks ago, my dad started complaining that Mítso (my only male tiel) was biting his neck and would "peck" or bite his hands when he wanted to leave the room. this is kinda normal for Mítso when he wants a lot of attention and doesn't want anyone to leave the room, so I just shrugged it off. but it seems to be getting worse, he's biting REALLY hard almost in defense or to attack someone. the second I walked into their room, he immediately flew down onto my shoulder, and went straight for my neck, and he drew blood. he'd then try to bite my hands, as my dad said. I stayed in there for a while and he kinda reverted and wanted his head rubbed, but after 3 seconds of being rubbed he'd bite my hand and my neck again.

I also noticed that he's acting very paranoid. he'd jump onto my shoulder for a few seconds, then he'd hop off and kinda look around himself, spinning almost, like something was trying to get him. then he'd preen kind of aggressively, but I didn't see any mites or lice on him anywhere. I did notice he's moulting but that's never caused him to act like this before.

I'm planning on taking him to a vet, but I was wondering if anyone's experienced paranoid behaviour + aggressive biting. he's never been like this, and I've had him almost 5 years. :(

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
He may be hormonal. What is his routine like?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Mine do this too, on and off. Right now one of mine is bitey, she'll bite your hands if you try to get her to step up (not hard but that's probably because she is the most gentle bird on the planet usually), she puts her wings out and hisses and bites the air for no reason, etc. and on top of all that, she attempts to make anything a nest, like the back of the sofa, between the top of the cushions and the wall. She'll get in there and fuss around trying to make it just right... So I'm hoping she snaps out of all of it soon. She wasn't like this previously. I'm doing long nights and such, but no success yet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts