Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably going to sound incredibly dumb, but I don't read (or sniff, lol) newspapers often enough to be familiar with their stench. :p

I was handed some today for my cage bottom, and as I'm sitting here cutting them into sections I'm noticing the smell is rather strong--a bit like gasoline. Is that normal? Thusfar Pretty Boy (thinking of renaming him Peewee! /unrelated ) hasn't set foot on the bottom of the cage so I'm not overly concerned with him eating any of it, but I know their little respiratory systems are sensitive and I worry the fumes might be bad for him. Perhaps the smell with fade if I let it air out before using it?

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Some newspaper does tend to have a strong smell, its up to you whether you want to use it or not. I've never had a problem with it. Airing it out first wouldn't hurt...

·
Registered
348 Posts
Some newspaper does tend to have a strong smell, its up to you whether you want to use it or not. I've never had a problem with it. Airing it out first wouldn't hurt...
I agree with Roxy airing it out wont hurt and we dont have any problems with it either and we have used it for years... But he will come around mayb after the smell isnt so over whelming

·
Registered
61 Posts
Gasoline??? :confused: I'm sure that can't be good.

I purchase the local paper here on a daily basis and I also use 'em to line the bottoms of cages. Never have I smelled anything even remotely close to what could be construed as gasoline while sittin' readin' it.

But I reckon ya outta do like the others said.....a good airin' out may just do the trick.

If it don't, I wouldn't take a chance with the birds. I would find somethin' else to line cages.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts