Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I have a small problem with our latest cockatiel Aria. She looks fine at first sight: playing, eating, exploring, having a blast really.

But she had these poo stains all over herself this weekend. So we first thought some of the other pood on her. But later on we found out her entire bottom is soiled with a sticky green (bright) pooh wich doesn't come of easy. It's almost impossible to get clean and she really doesn't enjoy that. Does anybody has an idea on what it could be, the other birds don't have it so I wonder if she is sick.

Thank you all in advance !

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Maybe I should clarify some more.

The colour is pea green, same colour as normal poop really. Only, it comes out in strings, which seem to be stuck on her behind. The strings are a couple of centimeters long.

It's sort of elastic, but when you squish it it becomes regular smeary poop. It's pretty hard to clean her behind of it. The white part comes out normally though.

She eats and plays and generally doesn't show any signs of disease.

We figure she doesn't drink enough. Could that be the reason, and if so, how can we get her to drink?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any more ideas?
I'm very worried... :(

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well she's new at our place...
I've been calling around. The vet said it was either worms or changed diet.
The breeder she came from said it was normal, they all have it every now and then, stress related, and if there are no worms in the poop it should be fine in a couple of days.

Well there are no worms in it, and she does nibble on the food our other tiels have, so she might be going through the stress/new diet thing...

We've decided to wait with going to the vet until we notice sick behavior in her, or any of our other tiels, or if we spot worms in her poop.
In the meantime it's cleaning her bum every so often, as much as she dislikes it.. :(

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
Dehydration can cause poop like that. But another concern in looking at the poop is that there is no urine (water) and urates (white part) which is an indicator that there could possibly be a problem with kidney function.

By the looks of it it is not a parasite problem. If this were the case the poop would be a tannish color and very mucousy and stringy.

You might want to ask the vet to do a gram stain and do some bloodwork to find out what is going on.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So it sort of went away after a few days, so we assumed it was due to a new food diet. However, a few days ago she started to smell terribly, really a sour horrible smell, and the big sticky muck was back.

So we took her too the vet, and of course, it was worms.
Well now comes the ordeal of giving all our birds the medicine the following 3 days, which i'm sure they won't like. At least 6 of them are tamed, but our semi wild one Liara is gonna be a pain in the toches to catch and feed the medicine :(

At least they'll all be better soon!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi @Shotoetoe, I hope your tiel is safe and sound now. By chance can you tell the name of medicine vet gave her? I am facing same problem with my tiel (Sammy). Thanks in advance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts