Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She is just 11 weeks old. her wings is not clipped. She steps up on my finger no problem but dont want to eat from my hand, she just sits still in her cage and barley eat with out being out of the cage and by my side eating from a bowl. When she is in her cage she justs sit still and puff up. If i put her on my desk she walks around a bit picking some seeds.

What should i do?

I have only had her for 1 and a hafe day? but she was hand tame from the beggining.

She hasent said any thing more then hissing.
Should i just continue and wait for her to get more comforteble?
She does not even want to try anything she just picks out the millet seeds out of her food and only eats them, but wont taste millet from the stem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would take a step back and leave her in her cage for now. I would set up a chair near her cage and just be content with sitting next to her. Although she is hand tamed by the breeder you are still an entirely new person to her. She has not known you for very long. When I got my cockatiel I sat next to her cage for two whole weeks. I would Quietly talk to her, getting her used to my presence. Once she seemed comfy with me sitting there I slowly introduced my hand to the outside of her cage I did this for a few days until she stopped hissing. Then i started introducing Millet Seed as a treat. Slow and steady. There are also a lot of videos on youtube to help with the taming and bonding process. Right now you need to work on bonding which takes time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would take a step back and leave her in her cage for now. I would set up a chair near her cage and just be content with sitting next to her. Although she is hand tamed by the breeder you are still an entirely new person to her. She has not known you for very long. When I got my cockatiel I sat next to her cage for two whole weeks. I would Quietly talk to her, getting her used to my presence. Once she seemed comfy with me sitting there I slowly introduced my hand to the outside of her cage I did this for a few days until she stopped hissing. Then i started introducing Millet Seed as a treat. Slow and steady. There are also a lot of videos on youtube to help with the taming and bonding process. Right now you need to work on bonding which takes time.
I have done what u said with my other birds but it dose not work. it just tells the bird that "cage=safe Safe=never leave cage"
i have spoken with 5 diffrent bird experts and 10 breeders. They all have proff that that kind of bonding will take more then dubble the time. If u get a hand tame bird. "be with your bird all the time for 2 weeks" and then "YOU=SAFE" "cage=toys and food"

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well if you've spoken to experts then that's all the info you need. Based on the information you are providing here on this forum your bird is scared and you're not allowing it enough time to acclimate. I've done everything I stated with my current bird and she is very bonded to me now and will sit with me and eat from hands and loves pets and it was accomplished in 4 weeks. It sounds like you're not being patient and you want results now, which I completely understand but birds are not something you get immediate results with. Good luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well if you've spoken to experts then that's all the info you need. Based on the information you are providing here on this forum your bird is scared and you're not allowing it enough time to acclimate. I've done everything I stated with my current bird and she is very bonded to me now and will sit with me and eat from hands and loves pets and it was accomplished in 4 weeks. It sounds like you're not being patient and you want results now, which I completely understand but birds are not something you get immediate results with. Good luck.
Bruh.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If she is so scared why is she exploring, preening while she is on me, playing with toys and even letting me pet her. If she was scared she wouldn't be doing all the things a relaxed bird is doing. All I wanted was som tips on getting her to try new things. She now thinks that I am safe. My room is safe and her cage is safe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts