Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you make your own sprouts? Do you use bird seed, or do you buy garden seed from the store and wash them? I would love to make sprouts for my cockatiels, because they were raised on seed, and I'm having a hard time getting them to eat anything else. I think sprouts might be an easier transition to a healthier diet.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Sprouts are very healthy for them. I just started sprouting wheat grains which I acctually eat myself and my babies LOVE them! They acctually go for them first, then veggies, then seed. Whatever you choose (just make sure they are birdie safe) and place them in a shallow dish or bowl with A LITTLE water..I ussually mix them around to make sure all seeds are coated with water, then leave overnight. I ussually add water as it dries out rather than drowning the seeds. I did that once and had to throw them out. In the morning you should have some nice sprouts.;)
As far as veggies, have u tried corn? I don't think I've met one bird that doesn't like it.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Most seeds are dried out and basically dead so that's why some won't work. I know wheat is a really easy one- just purchase it from a health food store or something like that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts