Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
I sprout a mix of white,red millet,canary seed,oats,flax seed...soak overnight,rinse,drain away the water,rinse again in the evening,next morning-rinse again and its ready to serve on a small flat plate

·
Registered
200 Posts
I use tops all in one seed mix, but any seed mix with organic seeds should work well. Hagens seed mix sprouts well also, and is widely available in pet stores.

You can sprout together : sunflower, safflower, millet, rye berries, kamut, wheat, canary, alfalfa , broccoli , buckwheat seeds.

If your bird is a seed junkie, I suggest sprouting the seeds he eats, and mixing it with dry seed so he gets used to the wet texture of sprouts by tricking him to pick them up. New foods take time, it took two months for one of my birds to try sprouts . The rest tried them the first day.

·
Registered
200 Posts
That is so weird, but an eye opener. Does sproutpeople.org lie that sprouts contain vitamins ? Or does the dry seed already contain these vitamins and minerals as well? I’ve read so often that a lot of fat is removed when sprouting also, another myth?

Ex. Millet sprouts
Nutrition:
Vitamins B, C and E
Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus
Amino Acids
Protein: 15%

1 - 5 of 5 Posts