Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What exactly is sprouting seeds? can you use normal cockatiel seed?
What Nutritional value does it have.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I use sprouts that are specifically for birds. Using their seed is not great, as it doesn't sprout well especially if its old. Here is where I get them and the type I use https://sproutpeople.org/lil-bird-sprout-mix/ . The way to sprout them is shown on the website also. You can do an internet search and see if you have a similar place there for buying sprouts or see if the company I use can ship international. Then nutritional value is as follows, just to name a few.
Vitamins A, B, C and E
Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Niacin, Phosphorus, Potassium
Amino Acids
Protein: 10-35%
Another article says this : "Sprouts are essentially live bundles of pure nutrition, all in one tiny purse. They contain digestible energy, vitamins A, C, E, B, minerals, amino acids, proteins, antioxidants and phytochemicals, which have protective and disease preventative properties. Sprouts are also stuffed with digestive enzymes. These enzymes break down the food consumed, making it absorbable. If your pet bird eats and doesn’t absorb the nutrition food contains, it doesn’t do your parrot much good. The digestive enzymes in sprouts make the delivery of the nutrition more efficient. They are comparable to a "package delivery system” of the digestive world."
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
786 Posts
You can if its fresh but its very limited- in other words you don't get much variety, so you get less vitamins etc. Most packaged seeds like you get at the pet stores aren't very fresh, so they don't sprout well.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can if its fresh but its very limited- in other words you don't get much variety, so you get less vitamins etc. Most packaged seeds like you get at the pet stores aren't very fresh, so they don't sprout well.
I heard if you put seeds in the freezer it keeps them fresh

·
Registered
786 Posts
Yes, if they are fresh when you buy them it will help keep them fresh.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Remember bird seed is not gathered and processed the day before you get it. It takes a while to process it first and it can sit on the shelf for a while before you buy it. The only thing you can do is try to sprout it and see how it does. Do you know how to sprout it?

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Remember bird seed is not gathered and processed the day before you get it. It takes a while to process it first and it can sit on the shelf for a while before you buy it. The only thing you can do is try to sprout it and see how it does. Do you know how to sprout it?
No I dont know how to sprout.I also heard if not much of them sprout then the seed isnt a good seed for your bird.

·
Registered
786 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Thanks to Paula sharing the info a while ago, I bought 2 lbs of sprouting seeds from San Francisco..Sprout People. Francis went CRAZY for it. He likes them just before the roots get long! He wears it all over his face when he eats.
I did just order the 'easy sprouter' from
http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/search.cgi
It has good reviews on Amazon compared to other sprouters. I tried our local health food stores and no one carried it so I had to order it online. But I have been sprouting them without it just fine too.
Francis eats them twice a day now.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Brandon, do a search for seed suppliers in Ireland. A lot of people sprout seeds for their diets. You can also hit up people on other forums for seed info. I started sprouting my seed and my birds love it. I buy my seed from Herman Brothers here in the states. I use a solution of Virkon S to sprout with. It's available in the UK so you might be able to get it in Ireland. Also for some good info on sprouting and how to do it, jump on You Tube and look for the training videos by Mike Fidler. I have one batch in the freezer already and another in solution. Tomorrow I making sprouts for the my tiels.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Thanks to Paula sharing the info a while ago, I bought 2 lbs of sprouting seeds from San Francisco..Sprout People. Francis went CRAZY for it. He likes them just before the roots get long! He wears it all over his face when he eats.
I did just order the 'easy sprouter' from
http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/search.cgi
It has good reviews on Amazon compared to other sprouters. I tried our local health food stores and no one carried it so I had to order it online. But I have been sprouting them without it just fine too.
Francis eats them twice a day now.
The easy sprouter is great isn't it? I have one too. I don't know if it says this in the packaging, but be sure to use bleach to clean it after each round of sprouting... its supposed to keep the seed from picking up any pathogens or mold spores.

Milo is the same, he took to them right away. He will eat them before anything else in the mornings.He gets them twice a day also. I am also starting him on Nutriberries. They are still a little hard for him, so I break them up and he eats them right up too. He's up from 70gm to 74gm so I am relieved he is eating. So glad you are onto sprouts now, they are so healthy, I can't push them hard enough ;)

·
Registered
786 Posts
Brandon, do a search for seed suppliers in Ireland. A lot of people sprout seeds for their diets. You can also hit up people on other forums for seed info. I started sprouting my seed and my birds love it. I buy my seed from Herman Brothers here in the states. I use a solution of Virkon S to sprout with. It's available in the UK so you might be able to get it in Ireland. Also for some good info on sprouting and how to do it, jump on You Tube and look for the training videos by Mike Fidler. I have one batch in the freezer already and another in solution. Tomorrow I making sprouts for the my tiels.
I've never heard of the Virkon S... is it similar to GSE?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Brandon, I went for the mix that is prepackaged here in the states and has great reviews from customers. To mix on your own, that is good to do your research. I know the cost is pretty high to order them already mixed, but the good thing is that nothing really goes to waste.
Paula, I hope to receive my sprouter in a week or so. I am so glad to hear that Milo is getting settled in and gaining weight. The sprouts get gobbled up pretty fast just as you said.
Textiel, I will have to look at that Virkon S your talking about. Very cool!

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I started the sprouting I followed the instructions you gave me paula I hope they sprout.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The safflower seeds have already started opening.Also im cleaning out the water should I use filtered water instead because its more clean.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Many of the seeds have started opening I also rinsed with warm water to make more sprout and I used a vegeatable net thing to rinse them out.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts