Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today Rio came to the shop with me and I got Lentil sprout mix for the birds it contains Sprouted mung bean,Lentil crimson,Adzuki bean and chick pea.I gave the all the birds some and Tiko started eating right away.I was wondering where in their diet would lentils fit in and im getting sick of feeding pellets because you never know when the pet store will have them so im gonna do a complete diet change.This is my idea:

Morning/Breakfast:Lentils and some veg
Then later on some seed and maybe more lentils
(This diet is just for the tiels and Rio the pet store always has Tiko's pellets.)

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Pellets are a valuable part of the diet because it ensures your birds are receiving a good balance of nutrients. It is very difficult to ensure your birds get the proper nutrients when you eliminate pellets.

If your pet store doesn't always have the pellets in stock, it would be best to purchase an extra bag or two when you get pellets to make sure that you do not run out.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
im getting sick of feeding pellets because you never know when the pet store will have them
Convenience really shouldn't be a factor in proper bird care. :blink: People who want an "easy" pet shouldn't have birds.

That diet is not a nutritional equivalent of pellets. Sprout mix is good as part of the diet, but it doesn't replace pellets, which are more complete nutrition. It's really not possible for us to say exactly where that mix fits in the diet without knowing all of what's in it and in what proportions.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pellets are a valuable part of the diet because it ensures your birds are receiving a good balance of nutrients. It is very difficult to ensure your birds get the proper nutrients when you eliminate pellets.

If your pet store doesn't always have the pellets in stock, it would be best to purchase an extra bag or two when you get pellets to make sure that you do not run out.
Sometimes the pet store dosent have them for months and they are expensive to buy a lot and parrots dont have pellets in the wild so there are other things to feed them many people dont feed pellets

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Convenience really shouldn't be a factor in proper bird care. :blink: People who want an "easy" pet shouldn't have birds.

That diet is not a nutritional equivalent of pellets. Sprout mix is good as part of the diet, but it doesn't replace pellets, which are more complete nutrition. It's really not possible for us to say exactly where that mix fits in the diet without knowing all of what's in it and in what proportions.
Now I know im right you seriously need to get yourself some glasses and I dont mean to be rude I never said I was replacing pellets with lentils I was replacing pellets with seed,veg,grains and lentils.And how am I looking for an easy pet pellets arent important.

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
There are a lot of bird owners who don't understand pellets. The pellet companies don't do a good job of publicizing what pellets are designed to do, plus there are some well-intentioned but seriously misinformed people spreading wrong information about pellets. I wrote an article to explain what pellets are all about and dispel the myths. Anyone who has been told that pellets are unimportant or bad would benefit from reading it: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/info/nutrition-misc-pellets.html

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are a lot of bird owners who don't understand pellets. The pellet companies don't do a good job of publicizing what pellets are designed to do, plus there are some well-intentioned but seriously misinformed people spreading wrong information about pellets. I wrote an article to explain what pellets are all about and dispel the myths. Anyone who has been told that pellets are unimportant or bad would benefit from reading it: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/info/nutrition-misc-pellets.html
That is way too long to read.It is true though pellets arent important your bird is not gonna die without it.You can just feed your bird Veg and seed and grains lentils and fruit and they will live a happy healthy life and you cant add pellets to all that because it would be too much protein.

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
Without pellets your birds are at a higher risk for nutritional deficiency, and as a result they might die sooner than they would have on a better diet. Avian vets see a vast number of health problems related to poor diet, and improvement when pellets are added to the diet.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
This seems like a good time to point out that a nutritionally complete diet is especially important if you're going to breed.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Today Rio came to the shop with me and I got Lentil sprout mix for the birds it contains Sprouted mung bean,Lentil crimson,Adzuki bean and chick pea.I gave the all the birds some and Tiko started eating right away.I was wondering where in their diet would lentils fit in and im getting sick of feeding pellets because you never know when the pet store will have them so im gonna do a complete diet change.This is my idea:

Morning/Breakfast:Lentils and some veg
Then later on some seed and maybe more lentils
(This diet is just for the tiels and Rio the pet store always has Tiko's pellets.)
So lentils and veg for breakfast? No this is not enough, you need to seriously plan and budget for a complete diet if you expect your birds to be in breeding condition.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Pellets are an essential part of a bird's diet because they fill in the gaps that we can't. Our birds aren't in the wild, so they don't have access to the things that they normally would otherwise. Which means it's up to us to provide that for them. A good variety is always the best method, but not providing pellets at all is never a good idea. When breeding, my birds were pellet hounds, I was feeding more of that than anything else I offered them.

Also, saying that an article is too long to read just shows that you don't have a lot of time. If you really wanted to know all there is to know about proper bird care, you would take the time to read what was offered to you. When you are offered advice that contains good info, it's always best to read it.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So lentils and veg for breakfast? No this is not enough, you need to seriously plan and budget for a complete diet if you expect your birds to be in breeding condition.
Their diet would be completely different if they were breeding which they are not

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pellets are an essential part of a bird's diet because they fill in the gaps that we can't. Our birds aren't in the wild, so they don't have access to the things that they normally would otherwise. Which means it's up to us to provide that for them. A good variety is always the best method, but not providing pellets at all is never a good idea. When breeding, my birds were pellet hounds, I was feeding more of that than anything else I offered them.

Also, saying that an article is too long to read just shows that you don't have a lot of time. If you really wanted to know all there is to know about proper bird care, you would take the time to read what was offered to you. When you are offered advice that contains good info, it's always best to read it.
Well I cant read something that long if its late at night and I have to sleep remember were in different time zones.And if the pet store stops selling them they cant get them anyways.And not all pellets can be the same because some are colourful and some are brown

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Well I cant read something that long if its late at night and I have to sleep remember were in different time zones.And if the pet store stops selling them they cant get them anyways.And not all pellets can be the same because some are colourful and some are brown
You couldn't read it because you have to sleep, yet you're still up an hour and a half later arguing with people? :confused:

As others have mentioned, you can stock up on pellets when they're available, or you can order them online. It seems to me that you're not really interested in solving the problem of how to get them the best diet, though. You seem more interested in being told what you want to hear, which unfortunately would be detrimental to your birds.

By the way, I for one really appreciate Carolyn's articles. She spends so much time and energy researching these things and then puts them into simple but still comprehensive articles so that we can learn. :)

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
The article isn't going to go anywhere so you can read it later if you want to.

The major pellet brands aren't identical to each other. The ingredient list varies and there's some variation in the nutritional values. But they all have the same goal, which is to provide complete balanced nutrition. My article has charts at the bottom showing the minimum nutrient recommendations made by an expert panel about 20 years ago (which are slightly outdated now but still pretty good on the whole) and the nutrient amounts in several major pellet brands. Most of them don't disclose everything, but what they've made public is there, and in general they exceed the expert panel recommendations on almost everything. The one nutrient where most of them are less than the expert recommendation is vitamin A, because ideas about appropriate vitamin A levels have changed since the expert recommendation was made.

Most bird owners don't know what some of the stuff on the nutrient list is, let alone how to supply it. For a real exercise in mind-bending, look up the nutritional analysis for a few common grains and vegetables, and try to figure out how to provide an appropriate calcium to phosphorus ratio. I did it one day just for fun, and found that most of them skew too far toward the phosphorus. All I could do was stare helplessly at the screen feeling relieved that I didn't have to do this for real. And this was without even taking the oxalate level into account, which is another complicating factor that isn't in a standard nutritional analysis and has to be looked up separately. I hear that trying to get the right amount of methionine is a serious challenge too. http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/info/nutrition-misc-pellets.html

·
Banned
820 Posts
Sorry Roxy Culver: Quote "Pellets are an essential part of a bird's diet"
What a crock of mis information this is? Who told you this?

Pellets are no way an essential part of any birds diet.
They may be of some use for lazy people who do not feed a decent varied natural diet.
But No Way are they any where near essential.
That is a as bad as saying Budgie and Cockatiels should not be fed seeds.
If you need help feeding a decent natural diet there are at least two groups on facebook that can help you eliminate feeding any processed foods to your birds.

This sort of claim reminds me of a person who runs a rescue. They do not feed any pellets. And a remark they got from a certified AV they sometimes use.
Quote "Dr. Burkett is the one that is FROTHING pro-pellet and went so far to tell me that it was sad that I was killing the birds in our rescue."

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
You know, different perspectives are great, but it's pretty hard to be convincing against well-researched posts with sources when your argument is "I'm right because I said so and also doing X to my birds didn't kill them."

I'd be curious to read studies that find pellets to be unnecessary. Could you please link some, Clawnz?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Their diet would be completely different if they were breeding which they are not
Conditioning Your birds for breeding starts months ahead. I like to accustom my birds to the foods I will be offering when they are feeding young chicks while getting them into the best health I can. It's a bit like expecting to run a marathon with no training or preparation.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
If you really don't want to feed pellets, I'd look into getting some Lafeber Nutriberries. They're a great pellet alternative and 'tiels go crazy for them!

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You couldn't read it because you have to sleep, yet you're still up an hour and a half later arguing with people? :confused:

As others have mentioned, you can stock up on pellets when they're available, or you can order them online. It seems to me that you're not really interested in solving the problem of how to get them the best diet, though. You seem more interested in being told what you want to hear, which unfortunately would be detrimental to your birds.

By the way, I for one really appreciate Carolyn's articles. She spends so much time and energy researching these things and then puts them into simple but still comprehensive articles so that we can learn. :)
I appreciate Carolyn's articles too.I wasnt up an hour and a half later arguing your the only one the does the arguing I was only up because I was helping my friend.I cant order them online and it would cost a lot to stock up and I need to have money for other things.I know pellets are great to have in their diet but not everyone can provide that so as a group yous should be helping me with a diet that will be good for them and were not just talking about the tiels its about Rio too.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts