Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I spotted my pair mating again. Problem is that they just had a clutch and the babies are about five weeks old. Was going to remove nesting box since I have seen all babies sleeping outside on the perches. What should I do? I don't want my female laying eggs so soon. Is it too late? Any advice?

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I would remove the nest box myself. If the babies are all outside and being fed, there shouldn't be a problem with the nest box being removed :) I've had this problem, too, with my current hen, Firestorm. She ended up laying four clutches on me before she stopped >.< But that was because she was in serious breeding mode and I hadn't removed the nest box.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
It's really hard to prevent double clutching, it kinda happens all the time. I'd remove the box and keep an eye out in case she lays any on the floor.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Haha, my hen is sitting on eggs due to hatch in 5-7 days and I caught the pair mating again yesterday... Errgg they just never stop, these 2 are going on serious lockdown as soon as these babies are pulled for handfeeding!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all, but to late she laid an egg. So now I tried to remove her babies which are now 6 weeks old but her and dad got so upset that I put them back. Now I don't see her going into the nest box and I have not seen dad go in like he did with the first clutch. Any suggestions on what I should do? Is it safe to leave them all together? I don't want to stress mom out if she's going to lay more eggs. Thanks in advance for any info, it is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
At 6 weeks you can take the babies out of the nest box and put on the bottom of the cage, they should be flying by now. Watch to make sure mom and dad are feeding them and if not you will have to try to handfeed them although at 6 weeks I can't imagine it will be easy to get them started. Place shallow dishes of soft foods, seeds, pellets and veggies on the floor of the cage, make sure they have access to water but it has to be shallow enough they cannot drown if they get into it.
If you don't want mom laying another clutch then pull the nest box and start giving the long night treatment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts