Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well buttercup has gotten scared twice today and lost tail feathers. Both times she was flying and didn't know where to land and it scared the crap out of her. She's on recently started flying but until today it's never freaked her out to do so. After her first fly around she eventually crash landed (softly), started hissing, and lost 3 tail feathers. They just fell out by themselves. She didn't hit them, it was just from being scared. Later she flew again, once again softly crash landed due to eventual lack of altitude, and then lost another. Any ideas on how to keep her from losing them all? And anyone know why she's scared all of the sudden when she flies? She's usually fine, it's strange.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I think she is scared because she crash landed? It is possible that she now associates something negative with flying. Maybe she shouldn't try again for a couple of days until she forgets the negative experience. Maybe next time it should also be somewhere where she knows where to land. Was she in a new room today or was the room arranged differently?
Luckily my boy is very good at flying, but I am so afraid because he plucks his feathers (as I stated in another thread) and his neck and chest are almost naked, so if he hits something he could seriously injure himself. :(

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think she got scared because she didn't know where to land, she just kept flying and flying and chickenimg out every time she went to land. She was in the same room as always but I wasn't there, I'd just walked out and my partner was with her. That might have been why she just kept flying instead of settling down somewhere I suppose, both my birdies hate when I leave the room. I've just never had them lose tail feathers like that so it surprised me. I don't think she's scared of flying, she's done it since but a much shorter distance just to land on me. I'm just worried she will fly off and get scared and lose the rest of them!
I hope your boy is ok! I've no experience with plucking :(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts