Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi :)
Here is something new from Skye and Sam...i started noticing this few days ago. They have all sorts of fresh food+seeds in the cage and they still scream for something....guess what? They want me to hand feed them...with the same food that is already in the cage like dark leafy veggies or whole grain bread. Now Skye was always a spoiled and hand fed pet, she loves when she can eat out of our hands but Sam is not really tame and he never did it. Now they both want it even fight for my fingers that hold the food :blink:
Do you think Sam is just mimicking Skye? But why now when they are having babies, while earlier Sam never accepted or wanted hand feeding?
Any ideas? I am just curious :)

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
He has picked up that it is alright to eat from your hand too, kinda “monkey see, monkey do”; it was just a matter of time from what it sounded like, they need to get up the courage to be brave enough, that is all. (and him seeing the other Cockatiel eat would have helped a lot)

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Well for one thing.. when they are feeding babies, they are more apt to take what they can get. Thus the screaming. If they are feeding all of those babies.. they need large amounts of food. They will do what they need to to feed those babies. Now don't get me wrong.. them taking food from your hand is a HUGE trust issue. And you do have a bond started that is great. :) But just remember.. they need to feed those babies.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep I know but they do have that same food in the cage all the time that is why it is strange, I pick a piece of bread out of their dish and they want me to feed them :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts